Mic'ing an ampeg bass rig next week. Formulating a plan of action.

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
:wave: Hey guys!

I'm going to have an ampeg svt and 8 10 cab in the studio next week, and I'm trying to formulate a plan of action.

For mics I have:
Apex 460 LD condenser
SM57's
Senn e609
atm 250
audix i5
sm7b
studio projects c4's

For pedals I have sansamp BDDI, boss bass overdrive, maxon od808.

I have an a/b/y box, and a 5150, so I think what i am going to do is try to get the body of the tone from the ampeg, and then use the 5150/recto cab for a grind track.

Now, I have recently acquired an ART MPAII preamp that I will be using. My plan is to use my audio technica ATM 250 for the body of the tone, and then use the ART MPA's mid side matrix to get a stereo track using my apex 460 set to figure 8 pattern for sides, and senn e609 for center. This would create an effect similar to widening or chorus that would make the bass pop out in the mix more.

I'm going to try mid side mic'ing both the 5150 and the ampeg to see what gets best results.

What would you do?

I'd do the sm7 for the clean track and the 5150 with through the ampeg cab mic'd with a 57 for the grind track. If the cab has a horn (they've done versions that did) make sure to turn it off for any distortion tracks.

I usually use just a beta 52a and my Rectifier for grind bass. Usually use the maxon od808 too. IFyou don't have a beta52a im guessing the sm7 will do the trick.

Good luck!

I'd stick a 421 and a 57 on it and record a sansamp track. Is an svt classic? If not then stick the sansamp into the front end of the amp as well

I'd split the sans straight in, the 5150 through the Mesa with a 57 and the ampeg through the fridge with the sm7 juiced up with plenty of gain. Check your phase, three birds with one stone.