Band I Recorded - Mesa Dual Rec

Yeah dude that was pretty much it, I might've added a small amount of EQ in cubase, but it really wasn't alot, probably just a 2 or 3 db mid-boost.

And what else would you like to know man? I'm happy to give you any info... Thanks for the compliments :)

thanks for info man, incredible.
i am bad in final mix (bass, guitars, drums)...
for example, for bass there isn´t more process? in total mix, bass is only ampeg svx dark dist + vintage warmer?
i´d like more info about mix, how you blend perfectly guitars with bass, with drums...

my mixes sound...not blended...do you understand? my mixes sound very direct, and you create a atmosphere with all tracks.;)

No worries mate. And yeah that's literally everything I did to the bass in the recording. Generally I know mixing should all be done listening to a full mix, but I do like to EQ and blend things in groups before I blend everything together.

Usually I start off with the drums and get them sounding as good as I can and make sure all of the levels work properly together. Then I'll send them all to a drum group. Then in about 90% of cases I also send the drum group to a parallel compression group to fatten things up a bit.

After that I usually EQ the guitars and bass together to make sure they're not sounding totally different from one another. I can't honestly say I have any specific plan for what to do here, I just try to do whatever I think sounds best. I usually just listen to each guitar track individually and make sure there are no frequencies that definately need cutting/boosting. Then I'll send all of the guitar tracks to a group and EQ them again on the group, maybe add a slight amount of multiband compression. After that I send them to a parallel compression bus (settings for this I have posted previously, but I basically just run rcomp with fast attack and release and a pretty high ratio).

Then I'll mix the bass in with the drums to try and get it sitting at a decent level. Again I don't follow any specific rules, just whatever sounds good... And then I'll also bring up the guitars and start to EQ the bass to fit in with the guitars a bit better, I often find adding a bit more distortion helps with making the bass sit right with the guitars, for this I usually just crank the drive knob in PSP vintage warmer a little more :p

After that I'm usually relatively happy with levels and everything, and I bring up vocals tracks and any lead guitar/synth parts and make sure they're all sitting properly.

It's much easier to mix from this position because instead of having to bring up every drum track seperately or every guitar track, I just tend to mix using the buses, as I've usually managed to get all of the seperate elements sounding half-decent, and then I obviously just alter any of the single tracks from there if they need to be made quieter or louder.

If I'm ever unsure what to do about EQ in any situation, I tend to create a pretty sharp spike boosting quite a bit and just run it up and down the frequency spectrum to see what parts of the sound I think need bringing out and what parts need taking away. I usually find it easier to do this with a sharp spike upwards in volume rather than downwards in volume as for me atleast it tends to be easier to hear a lot of something rather than the absence of something.

And that pretty much tends to be about it dude...

Not sure if this is exactly what you wanted, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask mate.

Cheers.

Cheers dudes!

The drums only have a tiny bit of steinberg cubase Reverb A. I set up a reverb group with just the stock settings you get when you open it up, with the mix set so that there is only verb coming through, then I just used a send on the snare, toms and overheads and sent it to the reverb group, but it wasn't turned up very high at all...

The kick sample is one that Gubbkuk uploaded called Devildriver kick. Have a quick search and you should be able to find it... The snare and toms are just being triggered straight in Addictive Drums using Fuge's Egg preset which can also be foud pretty easily on the forum.

Here's a few samples of the guitars on their own, as you can hear they sound pretty pants outside of the mix :p

Single guitar completely raw: http://scissors61.co.uk/music/i5 raw.mp3

All of the guitars completely raw: http://scissors61.co.uk/music/all guitars raw.mp3

Single guitar with EQ and other shizzle: http://scissors61.co.uk/music/i5.mp3

All guitars with EQ and shizzle: http://scissors61.co.uk/music/all guitars.mp3

Hope this helps man...

No worries mate. And yeah that's literally everything I did to the bass in the recording. Generally I know mixing should all be done listening to a full mix, but I do like to EQ and blend things in groups before I blend everything together.

Usually I start off with the drums and get them sounding as good as I can and make sure all of the levels work properly together. Then I'll send them all to a drum group. Then in about 90% of cases I also send the drum group to a parallel compression group to fatten things up a bit.

After that I usually EQ the guitars and bass together to make sure they're not sounding totally different from one another. I can't honestly say I have any specific plan for what to do here, I just try to do whatever I think sounds best. I usually just listen to each guitar track individually and make sure there are no frequencies that definately need cutting/boosting. Then I'll send all of the guitar tracks to a group and EQ them again on the group, maybe add a slight amount of multiband compression. After that I send them to a parallel compression bus (settings for this I have posted previously, but I basically just run rcomp with fast attack and release and a pretty high ratio).

Then I'll mix the bass in with the drums to try and get it sitting at a decent level. Again I don't follow any specific rules, just whatever sounds good... And then I'll also bring up the guitars and start to EQ the bass to fit in with the guitars a bit better, I often find adding a bit more distortion helps with making the bass sit right with the guitars, for this I usually just crank the drive knob in PSP vintage warmer a little more :p

After that I'm usually relatively happy with levels and everything, and I bring up vocals tracks and any lead guitar/synth parts and make sure they're all sitting properly.

It's much easier to mix from this position because instead of having to bring up every drum track seperately or every guitar track, I just tend to mix using the buses, as I've usually managed to get all of the seperate elements sounding half-decent, and then I obviously just alter any of the single tracks from there if they need to be made quieter or louder.

If I'm ever unsure what to do about EQ in any situation, I tend to create a pretty sharp spike boosting quite a bit and just run it up and down the frequency spectrum to see what parts of the sound I think need bringing out and what parts need taking away. I usually find it easier to do this with a sharp spike upwards in volume rather than downwards in volume as for me atleast it tends to be easier to hear a lot of something rather than the absence of something.

And that pretty much tends to be about it dude...

Not sure if this is exactly what you wanted, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask mate.

Cheers.

thanks man! and thanks a lot for guitar tracks too.
one question:
"After that I send them to a parallel compression bus (settings for this I have posted previously, but I basically just run rcomp with fast attack and release and a pretty high ratio)."
could you show those settings???i´m new on paralell compression, i found this tut -> http://www.faderwear.com/guides/parallel_compression.shtml

could you tell me how to apply for guitars (p_compression).

thanks for all man,:worship:

I literally did exactly what it said in that tutorial dude, except I just made the parallel compression group for guitars a little bit quieter than I normally make it for drums.

mmm, for drums you have some tracks (snare, kick, oh...).
you create bus called 'drums' and in this bus you insert for example reverb and a bit compression.
you send each track to that 'drums' bus.
and for pararell compression, you create another bus with other settings and send 'drums' bus to this new bus.
i understood well?????

for guitars would be:
'guitar bus' with, for example, eq.
you send all guitar tracks to this bus.
you create 'pararell compression guitars' with others settings and send 'guitar bus' to this bus.
correct??

mmm, for drums you have some tracks (snare, kick, oh...).
you create bus called 'drums' and in this bus you insert for example reverb and a bit compression.
you send each track to that 'drums' bus.
and for pararell compression, you create another bus with other settings and send 'drums' bus to this new bus.
i understood well?????

for guitars would be:
'guitar bus' with, for example, eq.
you send all guitar tracks to this bus.
you create 'pararell compression guitars' with others settings and send 'guitar bus' to this bus.
correct??

Pretty close dude, I'll explain again:

Drum tracks - snare, kick, OHs etc...

Send them to a bus called drums, where I don't apply any effects at all.

I also then send only the toms, OHs and snare (from their original tracks, not from the drum bus) to a seperate bus called reverb, where I put a reverb plugin with it mixed for 100% wet signal and 0% dry signal.

I then use a send on the drum bus to send that whole bus to a parallel compression bus.

Then I turn down both the reverb and Parallel compression buses leaving only the original drum bus turned up.

I then slowly turn up first the parallel compression bus fader until I feel I have a nice mix of the normal drum bus and the compressed bus. After that I blend in the reverb bus until I feel it is at a reasonable level.

Then what you said about the guitars is correct dude, that's exactly what I do...

Yeah man, it turned out better than I was expecting. I've not had much of a chance to record anytihng close to metal drumming before so I'm pleased with what it ended up sounding like. I know it's not the most incredible sounding shit ever :p but it's a big step for me atleast...

Yeah man, it turned out better than I was expecting. I've not had much of a chance to record proper metal drumming before so I'm pleased with what it ended up sounding like. I know it's not the most incredible sounding shit ever :p but it's a big step for me atleast...

This shit was a huge step to my mixing skills man! Thanks alot for all the information you have given so far. :worship:

This reminds me that I'm an idiot for selling my recto

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

It sounds GREAT! man, thanks for all the explanations so far. It will undoubtedly help me with my future projects

What were the OH mics you used?

Dude, I didn't expect that T-Pain effect hahahaha, but sounds nice!!!!it's a pretty "in your face " mix

Thanx for the details!

Greetings!

Scissors61: sorry, i didn´t understood drum buses.

you have drum tracks: snare, kick for example.
you create 3 buses: 'reverb bus', 'drum bus', 'pararell compression'.

snare and kick -> sends to 'reverb bus' and 'drum bus'.
drum bus -> send to 'pararell compression'.

correct?

why you don´t apply effects to 'drum bus' and send to pararell compression.
it would be the same if effect that you applied to pararell compression, you apply to drum bus and eliminate pararell compression.i dont understand.

screenshoots, explanation please.

and thanks for all man

Scissors61: sorry, i didn´t understood drum buses.

you have drum tracks: snare, kick for example.
you create 3 buses: 'reverb bus', 'drum bus', 'pararell compression'.

snare and kick -> sends to 'reverb bus' and 'drum bus'.
drum bus -> send to 'pararell compression'.

correct?

why you don´t apply effects to 'drum bus' and send to pararell compression.
it would be the same if effect that you applied to pararell compression, you apply to drum bus and eliminate pararell compression.i dont understand.

screenshoots, explanation please.

and thanks for all man

dude :)

you have for example:

OH, kick, snare

make drum bus

make para drum bus

there is many options, but... take OUT of kick and snare to drum bus (with anything you like, L2, L1, eq, bla bla bla), later in drum bus!! make a SEND to para drum bus ( with eq, comp)
and than you have para comp

later make reverb FX
and SEND there what you like, snare, or kick, or OH, or all drums:)

you can make para comp only on snare...so: make snare bus (with comp, eq), and SEND there your snare... same with kick, but to bus named para kick with differend settings... remember there is possibility to make track OUT, or SEND :)
i hope it helps, and i hope you understand what i am writing, sorry for my eng
cheers :)