Help need with my song!!

Gufi666

New Metal Member
Aug 8, 2011
Gdansk Poland
Hello,

I'm new here. I'm guitarist from Poland. I want to learn how to mix and master songs for my band and I;m stoke :/ I have problem with my mix. Don't look for vocal that isn't in time I know that and need to repair it:) For his I use Superior Drummer Metal Foundry pack (DW drums with low reference Pearl snare) Guitar I record with Bogner Uberschall and Mesa Boogie DR Tremoverb with Mesa Cab and Audix i5 thru Presonus Firestudio Guitars was Mayones Setius 7 string Mahogany Ash Top with X2N and second maple top with Blaze pickup . For bass I used Ampeg SVT3Pro from DI to Presonus and Mayones Prestige 5 String Bass with Bartolini Active Pickups and Aguilar Preamp. Vocal was record with SE 2200 thru Focusrite Vocalmaster preamp thru presonus. I use Cubase 5 DAW. For kick I use VST SSL Channelstrip with compression. For Snare the same. For guitar Fabfilter Q with BX Shreedsprear. Reverbs are some plate for voc and oh and chamber for snare. Bass track I run with Ampeg SVX with two tracks one is distortion HP 400khz LP.3,5 khz. Guitars there are two L-R 100% and two 70% LR and I cut HP 65 hz and LP 11 khz and boost 400 1,5k, 4-6 khz and 8 - 10 k like I read on Colin Post. Problem ist that it sound flat and no to much heavy and agressive. For "mastering" I use chain - linEq, C4, Pultec EQ Sonic Max, S1 Stereo and L316. Please give me some tips to make it a more clear and punch.Guitars are to weak for me and snare I feel that didn't sit in mix. All Your help will be very useful for me.
Here is link : http://soundcloud.com/gufi666/w-poludnie-tylko-mesa-i-vocal/s-Tw04c

Thanks for reply :)

that's exactly what the "Rate my mix" section is for. I'm sure "rate" isn't necessarily the best word for it, but that's where people provide feedback specifically on how to improve your mixes.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Use Colin's guide as just that, a guide. Those frequencies aren't set in stone. You have to decide what sounds best for the tone you're going for and how it fits in the mix. Personally, most instruments sound thin and weak when solo'd by themselves. But it's how everything fits in a mix and works together that adds to the beefy or heaviness aspect of it. I think you're on the right track, but it could still use some work. Use your ears and not just a guide. Also, where's the bass guitar? lol. This mix feels like it's virtually all mids and treb. Kick drum could be turned up and have some more low end thump and high end click, snare sounds decent, and I can hardly hear the toms. Sounds like you should spend some time eq'ing and compressing the drums a bit piece by piece as well, and work on blending with a good room verb and panning to make them sound larger.

Thanks for replay. I have problem with low end I know that I don't wont to make mix mud and I cut to much. I make it one more and I think is better. I start use tube saturators on main drum group and tape for guitar. I hear a big difference. My mix grove up in high about 8k - 20k. Shoud I do that ??? And I read that is good practice to use on main channel some tube tape saturators and a small main bus compressor. Is it right way?? My room isn't profesional is a very small place so I thing there is a problem to get a right balance in low end.

Thanks for replay. I have problem with low end I know that I don't wont to make mix mud and I cut to much. I make it one more and I think is better. I start use tube saturators on main drum group and tape for guitar. I hear a big difference. My mix grove up in high about 8k - 20k. Shoud I do that ??? And I read that is good practice to use on main channel some tube tape saturators and a small main bus compressor. Is it right way?? My room isn't profesional is a very small place so I thing there is a problem to get a right balance in low end.

ps. Ok sorry for wrong place of my post this is my first post. Next time I will remember that and sorry for my english :))) eheh I am from Poland and I don't use english enough offen :)