Dual Rec, Mesa cab, SM57 - what the F is wrong with me?

guderian

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2022
Hi everyone - long time first time... and i hope the board isn't totally dead, but i fear i have no place else to turn. You guys are literal heroes.

When recording a Dual Rec in the "metal compliance" manner - into a mesa cab with a SM57, i can only manage a scooped wave form with a boofy low end. I have screencaps to share. I have logged many hours watching our favorite youtube personalities telling me to "put a 57 in front of a mesa cab, just off the dustcap, and all you'll need are HP/LP filters." While being extremely stubborn, and to justify owning gear, I am trying to reamp using my own stuff.

I don't have a Dual Rec, but a MK II B+, so to account for these Mark vs Rec differences I used the Lecto amp sim. I sent the line out of the Lecto into the FX return of the Mark, no graphic. SM57 in various places around the dustcap of both a UK Mesa V30, and a recent Eminence DV-77(X, Y and Z axis). DV-77 had much less fizz but same basic mid/low results as seen in this first screenshot. This is recorded roughly at 90-95dB around the mic position. (2x12 recto cab FWIW)

also: the Lecto settings aren't weird i dont think - TS9 in front doing the 0 Drive, maxed Level thing, tone maxed. Bass, mid, and treb are all within 11:00-1:00. Vintage/Red mode.
DV no GEQ.png

When viewing the EQ curve of that same chain, but staying completely in the box with an IR of a Mesa V30/SM57 chain, it's almost flat (and sounds way better). Also with the understanding that post processing was probably a factor in IR creation.SIM.png

SO i guess the money shot is..... are my initial results normal for you guys who do this professionally? Is there some secret sauce that isn't being disclosed in these vids? Does my room really matter when it comes to a close-miked 57 on a high gain amp?

The Rectifier poweramp isn't really like anything else in a high gain amplifier, it has no negative feedback, so the cab has a huge bearing on the tone and it contributes a massive amount to the sound of the amplifer.

If you want to experience something like a Rectifier on a budget, I'd recommend either STL's or Mercuriall's plugins. Or Line 6 Helix or Fractal have solid emulations too if you want to spend a little more. IMO the biggest mistake people make with Rectifiers is not spending enough time getting the master volume in the sweet spot. It VERY easily bloats up and fuzzes and sounds bad if its up too high - IMO the sweet spot is fairly quiet on a rectifier, that way you maintain a good amount of bite and low end. Its also important not to overdo the bass, but I think setting the gain and EQ is pretty straightforward if you listen to what sounds you're getting and adjust.