Amp combination, what do you say?

Raptor7

Apr 21, 2009
Hi there guys,

I will track guitars for a new band next week, a heavy metal band heavily influenced by Metallica the most. Their songs sound sometimes very aggressive, sometimes very mellow. I was just wondering what in terms of tone vs frequencies vs phases the following amp combination is a Winner: Marshall JCM800 and Mesa Dual Rec, both through a Framus 4x12 V30 cab, two SM57, Fredman angles. Or should I use for Marshall head a Marshall 1960 4x12 G75 cab? I was thinking on 4 tracks.
I choose JCM 800 to give them that heavy metal scent of the 80s combined with the aggressiveness of the more recent Metallica tones.

Now what do you say?
Thank you

hard to say what combo's gonna be the best without hearing any of them. All of those should get you somewhere close though

I would probably go with the framus cab and do one track of each head. Using a different cab might cause some phasing issues that you wouldnt have if you just stick to the same cab & mic setup for all the tracks. And as you said you can basically use the level difference between the marshall and mesa tracks as a modern/old school balance.