80's thrash tone help? Anyone have any tips? I have questions!

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
As a big fan of the 80's thrash guitar tones (bands such as Vio-lence, Laaz Rockit, Testament, Forbidden, Metallica, Gothic Slam etc) I was wondering if anyone new more about the kind of amps n setups the bands had back then to achieve those very disctinct tones?

Would I be right in thinking something like Marshall JCM 800/900 or Mesa Boogie (Mk4?) boosted with some kind of pedal? (it looks like Marshall amps from old videos on youtube n stuff)

I own a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and it sounds very similar when I boost it with an SD-1 but it's not quite "there" if you know what I mean?

This is also something that I can't actually mic-up and record myself due to VOLUME restrictions. Would I be right in thinking though that I could use the effects send on my amp to run it into GH's impulses but have the master volume turned right down on the amp while keeping the cab connected to the amp to avoid any damage occuring?

The closest I've got to an 80s thrash tone was with Guitar Suite JCM 900 and the Tube Screamer emulator...

All help n info appreciated!

some peeps used an ADA preamp into a marshall jcm800 - through the front end no less. word on the street is, it was noisy as hell, but sounded pretty good.

you should definitely be able to get there with the marshall. I dont dig the SD1 with my marshall, but you should try something else like the TS, clean boost, or maybe a rat.

I am very lucky with my Hughes and Kettner TubeFactor in front of my JCM 800 (2205). The TubeFactor did not work well with my other amps (Marshall 6100, Engl, Kitty Hawk Jr.) but the JCM 800 loves it. The basic sound stays the same, it just gets more gain and fatness and bit of scooping to clear it up a bit. You can find some samples of this setup at www.netmusicians.org (search for user "Rif").

I am very lucky with my Hughes and Kettner TubeFactor in front of my JCM 800 (2205). The TubeFactor did not work well with my other amps (Marshall 6100, Engl, Kitty Hawk Jr.) but the JCM 800 loves it. The basic sound stays the same, it just gets more gain and fatness and bit of scooping to clear it up a bit. You can find some samples of this setup at www.netmusicians.org (search for user "Rif").

Just listened to the Tube Factor's samples you posted... they sound good but way more modern à la Sneap and such than "80's thrash tone" to me.

By the way i loved the rockish Marshall samples you posted (even if this kind of sound is definitely not suited for agressive/extreme metal i guess)

+1, love the factor for 2203/2204 (and only for that one)