Podfarm Guitar... help me out.

AkeldamaLegions

New Metal Member
Aug 23, 2010
I have the basic Podfarm. So i don't have most of the amps. I've been trying to record guitars using the Line 6 Insane amp, but it just isn't cutting it. A single tone doesn't seem to be able to get loud enough to be even half the volume when i compare my recordings to other bands. And the Line 6 Insane amp doesn't seem to have a very full sound, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I looked at another guy's thread that said he used the Treadplate and the Solo 100, so I tried that dual tone, with the screamer on both and the noise gate on both. I COULD NOT GET IT SOUNDED NEARLY METAL ENOUGH. It just, did not sound brutal at all. Clean and full, but i could not get the setting to make it sound heavy like i want it.

I realize you guys seem to HATE giving out tones or whatever, but I need some help, i sat there messing with these amps for a long ass time. Could anyone give me some tips, which amp/amps to use, or what i am doing wrong with the settings on the amps that i am using?

Thanks guys, don't rip my head off for being such a noob to recording.

A single tone doesn't seem to be able to get loud enough to be even half the volume when i compare my recordings to other bands
Don't worry about loudness just now. This is something that's dealt with in mastering, which is the last step in the recording process. For now worry about getting your guitars to sound good IN A MIX.
There's literally no point in messing with guitar sounds on their own, as something that sounds good on it's own will probably not cut through a mix well. Likewise a tone that sounds awesome in a mix will probably be pretty crap when solo'd.

I've not got as much experience as some on here with POD tones, but when I used to have my XT I really liked the criminal and diamondplate models in the metal pack.
If you're stuck with the standard amps I was finding some cool tones using a combination of the dual rectifier with the treadplate cab, 57 on axis, and the orange amp with the green 25's cab with either a u67 or a 421. Put a screamer in front of both. Settings will depend on your guitar but I found myself scooping the hell out of the orange to get some beef and thickness and then using the rectifier for some aggression on top.

As with anything like this, your mileage may vary.

alright man, thanks a lot

one more question, how do i know that something will sound good with bass added? trial and error?

i dont want to get a good sound going, and then the bass kill the sound.

oh shit, and i almost forgot. how do you raise the volume of the guitar without killing the sound?

would i just raise the track volume on the mix program when i get it recorded?

alright man, thanks a lot

one more question, how do i know that something will sound good with bass added? trial and error?

i dont want to get a good sound going, and then the bass kill the sound.

I'd recommend getting your bass and drum tracks up and then dialing in the guitar amp settings to work with the bass and drums. From there you can tweak the bass and guitar to get them to sit nicely together, making sure at the same time that they're not covering up the drums.

Like everything in audio engineering, this will end up as a compromise. It's like spinning plates, if you spend too long focusing on one then you'll find the others will suffer for it.

oh shit, and i almost forgot. how do you raise the volume of the guitar without killing the sound?

would i just raise the track volume on the mix program when i get it recorded?

Yep. Watch out for clipping though. If your guitars arent loud enough and are close to clipping then turn everything else down until you get the guitars sitting where you want.

i think you are missing the simpliest thing to do..Dual Tracking, mate..Create an Audio Track in ur DAW, add FARM as fx, play somethin, then copy the whole channel, not only the recorded track, so that u'll benefit from the Farm with very same settings..delete the copied guitar recording, then play the same thing again..finally, pan them %90 left and right, voila! it'll sound much much bigger and better than single one..

OH, right, yeah for some reason i though he meant recording two tracks at once.
Yeah i havent decided if i am going to dual or quad track my next recording. probably dual because of sweeps and whatnot.
thanks!

from what i hear in your demo, you have dual tracked but blended them in single "mono" track..panning will give you the stereo depthness..