Noise with Podfarm!

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Here is a noise I keep getting out of podfarm even when the noise gate is on. Also even when I just put a amp into podfarm with no guitar plugged in it starts getting a hiss, is this normal? I'm running my Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye directly into my Presonus Firestudio project. I also have a Countryman DI and the sound is still there regardless of the ground being on or off. Help please. Thanks.

I get the same problem every now and then as well, however I run my guitar into my line6 gx and open podfarm before i open my session. It clears most of the noise.. Ultimately you're not going to get complete hiss removal until you get a interface/preamp setup. At least thats what it seems like to me.

Really? I heard a lot of people having really good results with going through direct in or through a di box.

it really depends on your hardware.. the basic setup people should be getting includes a preamp and an interface. you'll always get better results going that route.

i normally add a second noise gate. i find that with a lower threshold it tends to degrade the tone alot. in my case adding a second noise gate kills the unwanted noise while still preserving the full tone of the amp.

Yeah I only have podfarm 1 so I can't use more than one unfortunately. Like you said if I turn the gate to more then 2 or 3 o'clock I lose a huge chunk of the tone. Could it be the pickups or something else in my chain?

i have substandard pickups so its probably not that. i'd upgrade to podfarm2. i think you'll find it'll drastically improve your tone.

From what I understand the difference between podfarm 1 and 2 are more work flow related than improvements in sound. It's hard for me to believe that upgrading right now "I'm planning on it when I can afford it" is going to stop the noise.

Phone is in the other room and the noise doesn't go away 6+ feet away from the computer.

i see well if theres anything like a tv or pretty much any thing that transmitts or recives is too close youll get a similar sound.

hmm but if not im stumpped then

sounds like the gate is not set right . try setting the treshold to like 3 o'clock. turn the decay all the way to the left,if that doesn't do it turn up the threshold to like 7 o'clock. or try reducing the level going into podfarm either with the db pad on the di/ preamp or interface.

Just making sure some of the idiot questions:

- Are you recording in 24bit and not in 16bit mode?
- How much do you raise the preamp knob and how loud is the noisefloor just from the preamp without playing at use level? Does it go above -80dB when you look at the meters in your DAW?
- Try using the Countryman for cleaner signal. Adjust the volume so that you have the preamp gain on the Presonus at zero at first and then adjust the input volume with the PAD on the Countryman and if needed, raise the level with the preamp knob just a bit.
- If all else fails, use another gate (with sidechain that filters out the low end) before the PodFarm in the DAW

I get that same noise but it usually just goes away when I unarm the track for recording and the playback never has noise in the background. So it's never a problem for me. I don't know why it does that but the noise is only there when I'm actually tracking.

Sounds like computer interference, most likely coming from the firewire/usb. Installing a high quality PCI express firewire port might mix this.. This can also come from cheaper interfaces that aren't wired as well as more expensive ones.

Ok ahjteam I have checked everything you have stated and It has improved a lot thanks! What level should I be getting on the DAW meters to get some clear Di's? because if i raise it too much i get an assload of noise. Also otop, I want to upgrade my firewire pci card anyways, is there any that you or any other members recommend?