Mixing guitars and bass w/podfarm

Laneismusic

Nov 20, 2009
Arlington, Tx.
www.myspace.com
Hey so what I have is one guitar panned hard left, then another hard right, and bass in the center. I like it when i'm listening to it through my moniters.. But then when I bounce it and hear it on my computer speakers it's just blah.

I really wanna beef up each guitar. I know I'm doing something wrong with the EQ or in podfarm.

Left guitar: Treadplate with EQ at 50%, tube screamer and noise gate
Right guitar: Treadplate with EQ at 50%, tube screamer and noise gate

The tone for each guitar was really flat, and grainy. I raised the mids for each and put a low cut on each. Then used the "stereo spread" tool in logic. To me it widened the sound a lot. But i'm still not getting the real "beefy" tone I need. If anyone has any tips, please help

Here's the mix WORKING LINK, lol
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6418015/gf%27saregayyy.mp3

For a start, pull everything off your master bus, there's some nasty pumping going on there. And the stereo widener is not something you want to be messing about with at this stage in the mix.

The majority of the beef you percieve in the guitars actually comes from the low end of the bass and kick. Tight playing is your friend here.

Bring the bass and drums up. Mabye pull back some mid's in the guitars. You could also try adding another two tracks of guitars to get some more thickness. Just keep it tight!

DON'T turn anything up. just bring the guitar fader way way way down.

also......... you didn't just copy/paste one take of guitar to two separate tracks and hard pan them, did you? you know you need to actually play the same part twice?

also......... you didn't just copy/paste one take of guitar to two separate tracks and hard pan them, did you? you know you need to actually play the same part twice?

yea, this would def make your guitars mono again, just double the volume.

although the guitars are not always playing the same thing in the clip. so i know its 2 different tracks and the playing isnt the tightest as well

DON'T turn anything up. just bring the guitar fader way way way down.

no, i recorded two parts. This is my first shot at getting the tight tone, i'm working on something else right now too.. what do you think? Guitar hard left, guitar hard right, then one in the center?

There is definitely something weird about the guitar... maybe try another speaker cab or impulses... there's no balls and it has a real "mosquito" sound

One last thing , try using different amps / impulses for the two guitars , it will really help the stereo image , it won't sound so mono. Maybe give the right guitar a bassier amp. Also it sounds like you need to turn the mids down a bit on the amp