My God The Noise!

is it a feedback loop caused by your monitoring. i'm not familiar with the firepod routing software but use the "firestudio" and ran into a similiar problem. Make sure you're not monitoring through the output that you are sending the DI signal out of.

is it a feedback loop caused by your monitoring. i'm not familiar with the firepod routing software but use the "firestudio" and ran into a similiar problem. Make sure you're not monitoring through the output that you are sending the DI signal out of.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sending the DI out of a Line out, not one of the monitor outputs. Even still, I get noise even without monitors or anything else plugged in. Only thing touching the Firepod is the power cord and the 1 line out going to the RMP box and I'm still getting it.

Gotcha. Like I said, i'm not familiar with the firepod routing it might be much different. but on the firestudio you can still monitor the signal of a line out.

What I do is send my DIs to a mono out in cubase assigned to output 7 (line output) in my firestudio control panel. If I choose to monitor that output which you can choose in the console in stereo pairs (i.e. 1-2, 3-4, etc.) then that creates a feedback loop through the monitoring chain.

I'm sure that the firepod is different, but check the possibilities anyway.

Force666 has the right idea but with the Firepod the control panel doesn't control the zero latency monitoring...

Make sure the Mix knob on the unit is turned ALL the way to the right, because if it isn't then it will send the signal from the mic back into the outputs for monitoring.

Oh damn, good call, I forgot the FP had a mix knob like cheap crappy USB interfaces :loco: But I wonder if it sends the sound back through all 8 outputs, or just the 2 monitor outputs (and if that can be adjusted in the software control panel)

Oh damn, good call, I forgot the FP had a mix knob like cheap crappy USB interfaces :loco: But I wonder if it sends the sound back through all 8 outputs, or just the 2 monitor outputs (and if that can be adjusted in the software control panel)

Manual says it only monitors through outputs 1 and 2 so if he's saying he tried all of them I guess we can rule this out :erk: Still worth a try though of course.

And Marcus, the FP control panel is absolutely USELESS for controlling any of the routing, as you can see here...

ehhiyo.jpg

Nothing to do with the mix knob or routing, I did try that though. But it does it while not even plugged into the computer and with the computer and all other devices unplugged from power and each other.

I recorded the sound so you can hear what I'm hearing. I just held a 58 in front of the cab while I turned up the master volume. Please go here and listen to "Reamp Noise."

I do have ground loop hum, but the hum x takes care of that which leaves me with this other awful noise by itself instead of being combined with the hum.

Thanks for all suggestions!

are you sure its not the cable thats connected to rmp box? i run the exact same set up you have, what type of cable do you have going into your rmp box from the firepod is the balanced or unbalanced/

are you sure its not the cable thats connected to rmp box? i run the exact same set up you have, what type of cable do you have going into your rmp box from the firepod is the balanced or unbalanced/

It's a balanced TRS to XLR cable.

I don't happen to have a 2nd one of these cables to test with, wish I'd have thought of that when I ordered the hum x.

If you have the same setup, I'm assuming you have no issues and it works well?

Well at least the Hum X did something, I would hate to think I recommended something useless! :loco: (though it totally solved my woes!)

not sure if this is relevant, but you could check and make sure the firmware is updated on the firepod. i had to do this to get any sound coming from the outputs a while back.

edit:
I'm sorry but I don't think that would take care of the noise.

HOW TO PREP YOUR TRACKS TO BE REAMPED

MAKE SURE TO RECORD AT 24 BIT ... You're recording at 24 bit, so you have plenty of room before noise sets in.

does the noise appear with guitar too? and are you using a battery with the tubescreamer? and are you using a balanced or unbalanced cable with the tubescreamer? are all the power being fed from the same outlet?

edit: fuck it. list the whole signal chain (including cables and how the stuff is powered)

Battery in tubescreamer, but the noise is there even with it not in the signal chain.

The DI tracks are clean, but also somewhat irrelevant since the noise is always there. If it was only there when sending a DI track, I would think it was something to do with the DI or the computer.

If I plug a guitar into an amp, no noise at all.

I'll check the firmware, doesn't hurt to be up-to-date in any case.

Thanks guys.

One thing that I always do is run a long balanced cable to the reamp box and a short cable from the reamp box to the amp.

What I mean is don't keep the reamp next to the firepod and run a long unbalanced (instrument) cable all the way across the room.

Just a thought.

One thing that I always do is run a long balanced cable to the reamp box and a short cable from the reamp box to the amp.

What I mean is don't keep the reamp next to the firepod and run a long unbalanced (instrument) cable all the way across the room.

Just a thought.

I did try moving the reamp box away from the firepods. I also tried moving it closer to different devices to see if something was causing the noise. No luck.

Closer to killing myself by the day, I still haven't solved the problem.

I haven't found anywhere to take my gear and test it out. So it may be the electricity here or it's the reamp box or the trs to xlr balanced cable.

I plugged the reamp box into a Fostex digital 8 track and got similar or same results. When the 8 track was plugged into the wall, I got the same symptoms, but even with it unplugged, there's some noise.

When the ground lift switch is out on the reamp box, I have ginormous hum with maybe a pinch of the high frequency buzzing. When the ground lift switch is in the hum is gone and I'm left with a really loud high frequency buzz.

I noticed while messing with all of this, if I tap on the reamp box, the sound comes through the speakers very clearly. Almost like it's acting as a pickup. So I'm wondering, is this normal behavior? Will any reamp box do this or do I potentially have a faulty unit?