Guitar Noise

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Okay I have tried everything to get decent DI tracks with out a ton of noise.

My chain.

Brand New Les Paul Studio, tested at sweetwater twice. No problems.
into
Great River 1NV DI or RME Fireface DI
everything is running through a power conditioner and even one of those stupid in the wall monster noise eliminator.
I have tried everything from changing lighting to whatever. It almost seems like a ground issue or radio waves or something because the noise really reduces when metal or the strings are touched. I've even had an electrician come by, we literally had all the power in entire building shut off but my rig. Because the noise really reduces when metal or the strings are touched. The only thing i have not tried is to use a Noise Suppressor (boss ns2 or alike) while recording. Anyone doing this?

I wouldn't use a gate to solve that problem. A DI at worst should have a little bit of ground hum. Have you tried not using the power conditioner and monster noise eliminator? Those thing can sometimes be a bit whack and have a negative impact.

My brother had a guitar that made a lot of humming when he replaced the back plate to it.
Taking out one of the screws that was closest to the input jack stopped the hum.
Putting it back in it hummed again.
It's weird.

Noise reduces when you touch strings or metal - pretty sure that's a grounding issue.

Double-check the wiring in the guitar. Do all grounds from the pickups as well as the ground from the bridge lead to the same location (Star principle of grounding)?

Usually they'll all get soldered to the back of one of the volume pots. You could check for a bad solder using a multimeter to check continuity for each wire perhaps.

i literally sent the first one back to sweetwater and they replaced it with another new les paul studio. i also talked with them after and the one i sent back had no issues. I dont notice the noise when im using my bass with active pickups. but when i use my a different epiphone guitar the noise is the exact same.

I would think that the Great River DI and the RME Fireface DI would be ready to take a Les Paul Studio, but maybe not. Can you explain in further detail the impedance mismatch your referring to. I obviously understand impedance but why do you think i might be affected with my setup.

Thanks for any suggestions.