Playing power chords or palm muting noise

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I hear other strings being touched even if I do a test of just hitting two bottom strings at once I still have this slight noise coming from the other strings on a fixed bridge arrrghhh. Im sure one is my playing style (and not sure how to improve on that been playing for a long time) but is it possible that my guitars are not properly set up...any thoughts?

Of course the other strings are going to make noise, they're attached to the guitar which is vibrating, causing the other strings to vibrate along with it.

How much gain are you using? Too much gain will really compress the signal and bring these noises out more and more.

The majority of it is down to your playing style though. You need to learn to mute strings that you aren't using with your fretting hand when playing with distortion. It's nothing to do with how the guitar is set up.

I agree.. over the years i've learned to just be programmed to naturally mute strings i'm not playing.. playing acoustic has helped me alot to get used to doing this, as acoustics amplify the dry playing and many chords require you to mute strings to allow the ringing out of the fretted strings, Also while recording you can mute out the strings you wont be playing during the take. Many engineers do this and will actually have you record riff by riff while muting out un-used strings during each take, ex. if the riff you're playing only takes place on your E-A-D strings then mute out your G-B-E strings while playing the part.

+1 to the last post. I put masking tape on the strings I'm not playing so there is a 0% chance that they will ring out. Hell, it takes about twice as long to record something, but if you want to do something, do it well, right?

When recording, I will use a sheet of Scott Towel, fold it twice and insert under the 3 high strings and bring the sheet up the neck toward the bridge until the sheet stays snug. No residue on the strings.

Thanks everyone! For those of you had that were in the same boat (sloppy playing and had maybe been playing for a long time) any advice that help me play stronger and tighter but still with feeling. Any videos, hand positioning pics, exercises etc that maybe helped you improve ur technique

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. Watch it, learn it, be a god. There's enough material in that video to keep you busy for possibly years and will make you so much better

Thanks everyone! For those of you had that were in the same boat (sloppy playing and had maybe been playing for a long time) any advice that help me play stronger and tighter but still with feeling. Any videos, hand positioning pics, exercises etc that maybe helped you improve ur technique

Just adjust your current style instead of re-learning things. Like for example i just learnt to use my left hand more to mute things. I guess just keep playing say riff X over and over and each time make a concious effort to try and play it as clean as possible and adjusting your hand or your pick etc. It worked for me and Hit the strings really hard without hitting everythign else :headbang: