weird high pitch noise when playing E5 and F5 chords

Brender500

Mar 16, 2010
when ever i play E5 and F5 chords i get this weird high pitch noise that almost sounds like feedback to me whenever i go to mute them fast.i get it on other power chords too but not near as bad.so what could it be? i am playing through the legion amp sim in reaper but i have tried it on my 5150 combo also and it still does it.it does it on all pickup positions.i just changed my strings and it still does it.I am playing a schecter damien special. here is a sound clip so you can hear it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14691474/untitled.mp3

It sounds like you're hitting a harmonic when you mute, but it could be some other string noise that you're just not hearing until you do a quick mute. Possibly even above the nut or below the bridge. I would try muting it in a slightly different spot first to see if that makes a difference. If it's not there, you could be hitting a harmonic with your fretting hand, try playing it differently and see if you can get the sound to disappear. If all else fails, you can try putting some padding under the strings behind the bridge and above the nut to see if that helps.

i dont have a tremolo but i tried putting a think cloth that you use to wipe monitor and tv screens with around the strings above the nut and that didnt work.i have had this guitar for about 2 years now and it only started doing this since i put the last set of strings on which where 12-68(i think) baritone strings which i had never put on the guitar before.could the size of the string have messed something up?

or could it be the bridge pickup is to close to the strings cause i notice if i put my palm muting hand close to the pick up to mute the high pitch sound is worse.

i think i found out what was wrong.I guess i put my tom bridge on backwards when i changed strings so i turned that around and that help alot and then i adjusted the intonations to were they are close to perfect and that has cleared up the problem alot.you can still hear it very slightly but it's gone for the most part.so i guess it was a intonations problem

You should try putting foam or electrical tape on the strings below the bridge (meaning in the part of the strings between the bridge and the holes that the strings go into).