Weird Guitar String Noise?

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't overly sure where to post it.
I just refinished one of my old guitars and replaced all the hardware with high end stuff, and I've noticed that there's a weird ringing that happens, mostly when I palm mute, but it happens without palm muting as well, it must just get drowned out by the notes themselves.

Here's a clip of the noise: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21735317/String Noise_.ogg
Note that the part where I'm chugging isn't the other strings ringing out, I'm muting them with my left hand.

Initially, I thought it was my tremolo's springs, but I've put some foam in with them so there's no way they could be making noise like this. I've also got a hair tie up past my nut, near my tuners. It feels like its the kind of noise that happens from that area but I'm not sure because it should be muted from the hair tie.

Does anyone know what it might be and how to fix it?

Your picking hand - do you fan your fingers out or do more of a closed fist? I have a big habit of fanning my fingers out and sometimes they rub against the higher strings that aren't being played, causing some nose. But, sometimes, the fan-out helps to mute the strings.

Hard to say, really, without physically holding the guitar in our hands.

strings ringing above the nut at the headstock, perhaps. Try the hair tie trick or a piece of foam.

53Crëw;10717820 said:
strings ringing above the nut at the headstock, perhaps. Try the hair tie trick or a piece of foam.

He's already said he has a hair tie up there.

On my old guitar, I stuck a piece of cardboard under the strings/between the headstock and strings so that the strings were laying over it. Fixed the resonance issue.

Sounds like guitar harmonics. How low is your action and what kind of plec do you use? Also what guitar is it, a pic would help a lot.

This is pretty possible. I'm using cobalt strings for the first time so that might contribute? I use a tortex .88mm pick. The action isn't that low to be honest, the frets need a bit of redressing to get it any lower.

Your picking hand - do you fan your fingers out or do more of a closed fist? I have a big habit of fanning my fingers out and sometimes they rub against the higher strings that aren't being played, causing some nose. But, sometimes, the fan-out helps to mute the strings.

Hard to say, really, without physically holding the guitar in our hands.

I used to do this a couple of years ago, a lot, but I forced myself to fix my right hand technique. I actually tuck my pinkie finger under the strings I don't use subconsciously now, it's pretty weird, but it works well.

53Crëw;10717820 said:

I have a piece of foam underneath the strings, and a hair tie over the top. Didn't change a thing unfortunately.

This is pretty possible. I'm using cobalt strings for the first time so that might contribute? I use a tortex .88mm pick. The action isn't that low to be honest, the frets need a bit of redressing to get it any lower.

Its definitely not the pick and action. I haven't tried cobalts yet but they could be to blame.

Do you get this sound when your guitar is unplugged?

It really sounds like something is resonating, it might be a tuning peg resonating or something.. still seems unlikely though.
Then again, when i worked at the local music store we had a similar problem with a guitar that we just couldn't seem to resolve.. until we changed the strings, still don't have much of an explanation for that one.

There's also the possibility of the truss rod being loose and resonating. Tap on the back of the neck near the top with your knuckles; give it a solid knock and see if you can hear anything bouncing around. I know if my Stinnett isn't tightened to a certain point the truss rod wiggles around inside.

Do your guitar strings go through the body? If so it could be ringing from between where the strings lift off and where they reach the bridge/saddle. Tie a hair tie, sock, or tape that.

There's also the possibility of the truss rod being loose and resonating. Tap on the back of the neck near the top with your knuckles; give it a solid knock and see if you can hear anything bouncing around. I know if my Stinnett isn't tightened to a certain point the truss rod wiggles around inside.

I had this in an Ibby premium.

Jeff is right it is/was the truss rod.

How sure are you guys about this? There is a small sound when I tap but I feel like its just the strings vibrating. If I tighten the truss rod much more, I won't have enough neck relief. It seems unlikely that it'd be loose as I'm using some pretty heavy gauge strings (12-56) for Drop C.

Do your guitar strings go through the body? If so it could be ringing from between where the strings lift off and where they reach the bridge/saddle. Tie a hair tie, sock, or tape that.

Its a tremolo - like a vintage fender style tremolo, but I'm using a tremol-no. And it definitely isn't the springs making this noise. I don't understand what part you're saying to mute though - the part where the strings lift off is the saddle, right?

The tremel-no in floating mode has a ton of extra resonance IME, like a really bad buzzing that I couldn't get rid of.

I'm only using it in hard tail mode though, except for a few very specific parts.

I'm using schaller locking tuners also, if that helps. The tuners are locked in pretty tight though.
The nut is decent - Graphtec Black Tusq XL.
Saddles are also supposed to be pretty good - graphtec string savers. I'm stumped here hey.
I'm gonna go back to nickel wound once I get my fretboard leveled and redressed - maybe one of those two will fix it.