Palm muting problem, insight? Help?

I can't possibly underestimate how helpful it was for me to learn to play jazz (with clean electrics, or even better acoustics) before moving over and doing metal.

Jeff

I can't possibly underestimate how helpful it was for me to learn to play jazz (with clean electrics, or even better acoustics) before moving over and doing metal.

Jeff

Yeah I can imagine. I guess I haven't focused on technique as much as I should have over the years. It's funny I'm noticing it now through recordings lol.

-Joe

Having the pick at a slight angle gives you a bit sharper sound.
Experiment... I have used many, many hours playing just palm mutes and experimenting with different pick angles and I like the sound when you pick the string at a 30 to 45 degree angle.
The faster I play the closer the pick is to that 45 degree angle (when I play single string palm mute stuff)
When playing slower stuff with more than one string the pick is closer to 30 degrees.

If you have the pick straight (no angle) to the string the sound will be quite dull.

Having the pick at a slight angle gives you a bit sharper sound.
Experiment... I have used many, many hours playing just palm mutes and experimenting with different pick angles and I like the sound when you pick the string at a 30 to 45 degree angle.
The faster I play the closer the pick is to that 45 degree angle (when I play single string palm mute stuff)
When playing slower stuff with more than one string the pick is closer to 30 degrees.

If you have the pick straight (no angle) to the string the sound will be quite dull.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. I always thought that I was somewhat "cheating" by doing this.

Also, if the angle is too great, fast mutes can sound sloppy sometimes. Depends on the playing as a whole though I suppose.

-Joe