Compressing palm muting

bebang86

New Metal Member
May 28, 2009
Hey this is my first post i just stated getting serious about recording and the major problem im having now is keeping the palm muting volume consistent. When tracking heavy guitar (rythm) there are certain notes that pop out much louder and muddier than the others, it seems to be from a B to the D note on the A string or Low E string. that area sounds way too boomy and the rest of the neck is fine. Ive tried compressing it with the plugin in protools but getting the booms down makes everything else sound like shit. Ive allready lowered my gain and the lows on my amp pretty substantially and this is still happening.
Is it the shitty compressor or my skills or is there another way to attack this problem.
Im using a Ibanez RG (emg 81 in bridge), Crate Flexwave, SM57(close to center of cone on the speaker), Mbox 2

I believe these questions have been answered here before.
Use a multiband comp from 65hz to 300hz or lower (whichever suits), and make sure there's a gain reduction of about 4-5db there.
Afterwards, boost the lows to taste, if neccesary.

Hope that helps!:D

Just a stupid question, in case : have you even considered multiband compression ? So you just compress the low/mids that are muddier than the rest, it may sound better.

well, since the guy is new i'm gonna post the link for him: http://andysneap.com/media/pictures/c4.gif
but remember to search the forum next time kid! ;)

btw actofvengence: the quote in your sig is from In Bruges, right?
In_bruges_post.jpg

Ive been working with the compressor lately and that helps post tracking but ive been trying to figure out why this is happening in general. those certain notes get so loud in that one spot. Ive read that it could be the room. I know its not the head because it happens with any head i use so maybe its the speakers or the cabinet itself.

The cab is a Peavy with 4 G12k-85 celestion speakers at 16 ohms each, ( i think those are out of production )

Maamar the mic is right against the grille cloth.