Sick Palm Muting Sound!?

Lonnie5

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2008
Hey guys, I wanted to know if you could help me out here. I am curious on how to get that (Thrice - Artist and the Ambulance) guitar sound. Whenever there is palm muting going on, it sounds like you can hear the speaker moving in and out. I've gotten ahold of Brian Mcternan about the gear used on the record. But I haven't any luck with what I've got. Rivera Knucklehead Reverb and EMG 81 and 85 pickups. My question is, do you think its the pickups, EQ, or the compressor used on the guitars that gives the guitar that sound?

The guitar playing!!! Work on your picking technique and you can get a real nice speaker movement with almost any setup thats half decent. I really work a lot with guitarists to get them to have their palm mutes shake the whole room to really give the mix more dynamics on those parts.

Certain pickups, EQ or compressors can't make that palm mute - its got to start with the guitar player ;)

Machinated: any tips, please? I tend to have my palm almost on the bridge, so It is not fully muted- sounds more massive to m ears, but lacks some "punchiness". I don´t know if this is good technique...

Seems to me Siegfied, if it sounds good, it IS good ! Palm position is critical in achieving different effects...the farther you mute away from the bridge the tighter the mute, however it can 'choke' the note, and it can be difficult to maintain consistency. Also there is a tendency to pull (push?) notes sharp.
And each guitar presents its own unique reaction to the players technique...I know, blah blah blah
What I mean is, what is the 'perfect' position to palm mute guitar A may not be 'perfect' for guitar B...

Hey guys, I wanted to know if you could help me out here. I am curious on how to get that (Thrice - Artist and the Ambulance) guitar sound. Whenever there is palm muting going on, it sounds like you can hear the speaker moving in and out. I've gotten ahold of Brian Mcternan about the gear used on the record. But I haven't any luck with what I've got. Rivera Knucklehead Reverb and EMG 81 and 85 pickups. My question is, do you think its the pickups, EQ, or the compressor used on the guitars that gives the guitar that sound?

Add a boost in front of your amp. Try using a TS9 with drive 0, tone max, level max. Not many amps can do that without a boost.

Hi. I youtubed Thrice - Artist In The Ambulance, listened to it and I couldn't find the sickness. The palm muting sounded pretty pedestrian to me and you should be able to achieve a similar tone with any humbucker equipped guitar and distorted amp.

Are you saying they used Rivera Knucklehead Reverb and EMG 81 and 85 pickups on the track or are you saying that's what your setup is?

EMG81 = Ultimate palm muting chugging mofo pickup :headbang: