How Are You Guys Palm Muting Staccato Riffs Without Getting String/Pick-up Noise

Dec 16, 2010
I've gotta couple off songs where i do some really fast staccato rythym riffs using palm mutes, and the middle of the passages are fine, but it's the space between the riffs that I have a problem. At the end of each riff section, i try to mute the end of the passage, but i always get a 16th or 8th note's worth of string/pick-up noise when I try to end the riff passage (This is bad news, because the whole band drops out on the rests between riffs, so the only thiing you hear is the string noise, when there should be silence).

/Chunk, Chunk, Chunk,/noise (rest) /Chunk, Chunk, Chunk Chunk/noise /

I can edit the end of the sample, but i'd rather save myself the work if you have any ideas.

Can't use a noise gate, the freq is too low. There's probably no way to do this through techneque, is there, Jeff

If you have a stomp box tuner that goes silent when you turn it on, you could just stomp on it right before the string noise. If you don't have enough time to turn it back on when the next riff comes in, you could record every other riff, and then make a new track and do the same thing to fill in the gaps of the first track. That would make the tracks clearer and easier to edit.

I don't know if this helps or not, sounds pretty crazy reading it back to myself, lol.

I'm with Jeff... I edited the cunt out of all the string noise/ amp noise between the played parts on our album! If any noise reared its ugly head, GONE!!! :p

I don't think that dampener will help. I'm assuming he's talking about small bits of noise from the part of the string that's supposed to vibrate, since it's pretty difficult to immediately silence strings that are ringing out, especially under high gain. By the way, that dampener is also wholly unnecessary. While dampening the strings behind the nut is a very good idea, most people just cut out bits of foam to put under the strings, like so. I'm guessing that thing is probably $20, more or less, when most people who order things online with any regularity already have a perfect solution lying around.

By the way, as far as dealing with this issue live, how do you feel about installing a killswitch? It's cheap, it can get you that edited-sounding immediacy, and it's fun to play with anyway. Elsewise, I've noticed Dino Cazares deals with this by being really quick with his volume knob.

I wouldn't use a noise gate for recordings. It is better to edit out the noise by hand later. If there is a really fast staccato riff you might just have to live with the noise. But as Jeff said, Edit out the noise if it is enough space

try using all the suggestions above, tie a rag/cloth around the headstock, noise suppressor on amp (ns2 in the x pattern,or decimator g-string) if you have a trem try dampening the springs in the back too. you can also lightly tape the strings not being played. all these together make a big difference, and by dampening the strings your noise suppressor will track faster due to less string noise in the first place.

What about this here? Has anyone used it yet? http://www.teslapickups.com/vibration-damper
Unfortunately they don't have any 7 or 8 string versions.

I can't believe someone actually made this, although it does look SUPER handy for when someone comes in without damping on their guitar.

That said, I use a hairband. They're cheap as balls and let me cheat when I do complex tapping/sweeping stuff.

I'm going to add a worthless comment which is when you edit please leave enough of a tail that it sounds natural. Way too many guys are using the special effect "choke" sound for every single palm mute edit and it sounds ridiculous.

I'm going to add a worthless comment which is when you edit please leave enough of a tail that it sounds natural. Way too many guys are using the special effect "choke" sound for every single palm mute edit and it sounds ridiculous.

Definitely not worthless, I'm in total agreement. This is what takes up most of my time when editing gtr silences - cutting/fading in a spot where it sounds like the guy muted really well vs a gate cutting the playing off entirely.

Definitely not worthless, I'm in total agreement. This is what takes up most of my time when editing gtr silences - cutting/fading in a spot where it sounds like the guy muted really well vs a gate cutting the playing off entirely.

+1 and that.

THis damper looks cool. I always use tape (its cald crap-tape in german) so it wont leave dirt after removing.