sweeping string noise problem

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
I've been practicing the sweep picking exercises at insaneguitar.com and am having trouble muting unwanted string noise.

I have been going slow, around 70-75 bpm starting with 1/4 notes, then going up to 1/16. On the 1/4 notes I can mute all the string noise pretty good, but when I start going to 1/8 I hear a little bit of noise, but I can't control it well, then on 1/16 notes it is just a disaster with string noise galore.

Now here is an example of my problem:

Code:
E||--15----12----------------|--------------12----15----||
B||--------------13----------|--------13----------------||
G||--------------------12----|--12----------------------||
D||--------------------------|--------------------------||
A||--------------------------|--------------------------||
E||--------------------------|--------------------------||

I do that starting with 1/4 notes at 70-75 bpm, and I am really clean at it. Then I move onto 1/8 notes and it's somewhat clean, but I start to notice string noise on the G string (12th fret). Then I do 1/16 notes and it turns into a slopfest on the g string.

So my problem is I notice a lot of noise on the G string (12th fret) of this exercise. I have no clue how to mute it, no matter how slow I start and progress. I start slow and it sounds good, but as soon as I speed it up, it's over. So I am wondering what techniques are there to mute the 12th fret? It seems a bit more challenging then other sweeps because it is on the same fret at the 2nd note, and I use my index finger to play both notes on the 12th fret, so the movements are tricky for me, AND I think that is one reason why I have trouble muting the g string.

Here's an example of me playing the above example. Pay careful attention to the last 1/16th note examples, that's where I have a hard time preventing the g string (12th fret) from ringing out:

Sweeping Noise

What do you guys think?

BalanceofPower said:
Have you tried laying the side of your thumb against the strings you aren't playing? That's a trick that I use. If I had a webcam or a digital camera I could show you what I'm talking about.

yeah but that wouldnt work if u re playing at extreme speed ~!
when your sweeping strings u have to block the sound with your left hand .. ..
just mute the note u want by simply pressing the fret a bit..
at the same time u have to pick the next note ~!
gl

Try changing the picking direction on the G string. That may help but i'm not sure. Also u should have your palm rested on the strings so that you only really have it off of the string that you are playing. That wont happen all the time but try it as best as you can. One thing that helps with this is to rest your hand on the strings and angle your hand back towards yourself slightly.......if that doesnt make sense than just fiddle around with the angle of your hand until you hear no noise.

control-denied777 said:
i think u just have to practice that more.like u should do it more than 3000 times.

well how does that help with muting the harmonics on the 12th fret? I've been doing exercises around that 12th fret for a year and I can't seem to mute those notes properly.

sometimes when your strings are dirty or mucky they stick to your fingers when you lift them.

personally I use finger-ease and that helps alot against unwanted noise. but shop around. different things work for different people.