Muting unwanted string noise in 8 finger tapping

Pablo_Argentina

New Metal Member
Dec 15, 2011
Hey Chris, what's up?

I want to ask you something: When you do your Betcha Can't Play This 8 Finger tapping you "hammer from nowhere" some notes. Also if you play 8 finger tapped arpeggios, when you descend, you hammer with your left hand.
How do you mute when you go from string to string?
For example if you play this:

e| - - - - 8 12 15 19 15 12 8 etc
B| - - 10
G| 9

When you go from the G to the B string only hammering from nowhere, how do you stop the G string ring noise?

Thanks Chris.

Greetings from Argentina :)

The best way I've found is to use part of your middle finger (or whichever one is hammering the B string) as a mute to the G - that is, when you hammer on the B string, simultaneously dampen the G. It's hard to get used to doing, but it's effective. You could also try using the right hand to mute the strings when you're not using it.

Use whatever feels most natural to you - if you find a way that works, go with it. Everyone does it a little differently.

the best rule I have found is any strings below the string you are playing (that is to say: the strings higher in pitch) you mute with your left hand by kind of... pivoting your fingers towards the fretboard so they dont ring out. And any strings above the string you are playing (that is to say: the strings lower in pitch) you mute with your right hand in the same way as before: pivot your hand towards those strings to mute them, generally with the side of your palm... its what makes 8 finger tapping so difficult i think, it takes a LOT of practice, i still can't do it.

In fact, although its not an 8 finger tapping (a la Betcha cant play this) example, check his youtube vid with guitarworld: "Chaos Theory #3". At 4:40, Chris explains it a lot better than i have, and hopefully visually you'll be able to see what he's doing.
Take care

the best rule I have found is any strings below the string you are playing (that is to say: the strings higher in pitch) you mute with your left hand by kind of... pivoting your fingers towards the fretboard so they dont ring out. And any strings above the string you are playing (that is to say: the strings lower in pitch) you mute with your right hand in the same way as before: pivot your hand towards those strings to mute them, generally with the side of your palm... its what makes 8 finger tapping so difficult i think, it takes a LOT of practice, i still can't do it.

That's the way I do it, too.

Also, just remember the way you leave the note you are tapping. It should be smooth and directly away from to fret board so you don't pluck the string as you are leaving it.

Hope this helps, Chris.