String noise on slides - How do I reduce??

tentimesover

Mar 14, 2009
Been having some annoying string slide noise on my new music. Jumping quickly between chords and single notes and it's driving me nuts!

I've worked on parts to correct some of the issues but some the chords has to slide to sound correct but I can't handle the noise associated with it.

Does fast fret or any other product actually help fix this?

hmmm, tough one...... most of the time when i get it its cause i've overgained the amp/or have too much mids - its also playing technique though

I like the subtle string screeches in my music. Are you saying they are like really pronounced or something?

I don't think EQ would work, since that sound will cover a broad range that will kill the rest of your tone. I use fast fret because it's easier on my fingers, but it really doesn't kill squeals that much (and after 5 minutes of playing it needs reapplication)

It's probably just my trash playing hehe. Thanks for the input from everyone so far. I know some of this will be technique, but I also thought gain / eq / anything else could weigh in also.

String noise is cool anyway. It's just a natural part of playing guitar.
You can hear it on quite a few Opeth guitar solos, and there's nothing wrong with it

Sounds fine to me, nothing out of the ordinary with the string noise
Your track could use a little automation on the snares though. Sometimes it's just popping out too much

I think what I have is distracting

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4206515/2.mp3

I'm fine with it in the intro with reverb and the slides making it a little uglier, but when the distortion and drums kick in it's distracting to me.

Thoughts?

I would say something like FastFret would help with this... I'm talking about the sounds during that intro... it sounds like you're fingers aren't gliding, they are dragging... could also be old strings, I rarely get that sound with new strings, myself.

brand new strings but i've also jumped up to 56 gauge instead of the 46's that I am used to. I think that might be some of my issues since it is a little different using these meatier strings.

I think the string noise is kinda cool in a recording. I've never tried to get rid of it, but maybe using a gate might work. Then again I could be completely wrong. lol.

You can reduce it somewhat with editing.
Usually the string slide noise is between notes or chords and hence
you can zoom in and find the small region of noise between notes
and snip it out and EQ it ( cut at 3k ? ) and then cross fade the snippet
back in.

You can reduce it somewhat with editing.
Usually the string slide noise is between notes or chords and hence
you can zoom in and find the small region of noise between notes
and snip it out and EQ it ( cut at 3k ? ) and then cross fade the snippet
back in.

Wow interesting idea! Thank you! Will try that one out next time.