Editing Techniques: How to make a terrible band sound good

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
In the past, I've encountered guitarists/bassists that are very difficult to record. They're nervous while tracking, they don't play with a confidence you're looking for, or there are just parts that they are having troubles with performing while tracking. The following techniques are just a few that I've picked up from experimenting and from other AE's I've worked with. NOTE that these are only used in extreme cases such as listed before. Here are a few:

-If there's a section that the guitarist is having to punch in over and over again, solo his/her track and let him/her play to a click. Just hit record, let the click play continuously and wait until they play the part exceptionally. Be patient and let them practice if they need to. This way they don't have the stress of 'keeping up' on their shoulders while they try to nail down that difficult part. Once they nail it, simply cut/paste the part where it belongs.

-If there are parts that may be too fast for the player, there's a cool technique used by several producers. Once again, solo the guitar track and have a click track going. Have the guitarist play the riff/section at half speed. It may take some time for them to adjust and figure out what 'half speed' really is. Once they perform correctly, slice before each transient. Once that is done, slice at HALF of each note. You need to make sure your grid is set up correctly. If the riff consists of mainly 16th notes, they'll be playing the riff at 8th notes, but you're targeting to make the riff at 16ths, essentially. Thus you need to have the grid set to 16th notes. Once the notes are split in half, delete/trim the second half completely off. You don't need it. Then, join the remaining notes together and you'll notice you get a realistic sounding riff.

-Sometimes there are 'in between' notes that sound terrible. Let's say everything else sounds good except for a few notes. Add a new track and have the guitarist target those specific notes. If they know what notes they are, specifically, they don't even need to play it to the song. Just have them play the notes longer than what they're intended to be ( with the correct attack), slide it to the right spot and trim accordingly.

-If you're doing a chug riff, there is a cool technique used sometimes. Let's say the guitarist you're working with is a bit skittish and doesn't pick hard enough, or just doesn't have that edge with his/her attack. Once again, solo out the guitar track, play 5-6 good chugs. Once this is done you can treat those notes like replacement notes, like when replacing with drums. Copy/pate those chugs accordingly to where it sounds real and edgy.

Of course there are some people out there that calls this cheating. Well, unfortunately these are some pretty universal techniques that a lot of successful people use. I personally don't like using them, as they can be a bit tedious and time consuming. But in the long run, when you have a really terrible performer on hand, it can actually save time and yield the best results possible.

Please add to the list, if you'd like!

Nice tips.

As for recording riffs at half speed, cutting halfway, trimming, & joining.....is this better than just
increasing the tempo for the riff after it is recorded? (Im a sonar user so I use audio stretch in this scenario).

Nice tips.

As for recording riffs at half speed, cutting halfway, trimming, & joining.....is this better than just
increasing the tempo for the riff after it is recorded? (Im a sonar user so I use audio stretch in this scenario).

Yes because when you trim it, it keeps the attack intact, while with speeding things up, it'll weaken the attack and make it sounds much more digital.

I wish I would have known about this kind of stuff a few years ago, when I recorded a friends band. They were just terrible, and he is no longer my friend. The part about "in between notes" was especially clever, would have saved me so much time.

One big problem occurs when the band is completely oblivious to how bad it sounds, and thus don't want to take these steps to get it decent. Then you get to choose, either fight a pointless argument that makes you look like dick or release a sub-par product with your name on it. (Though there were some issues that I clearly stated that I will NOT have my name attached to this album unless they were adressed. They kinda got the point then).

Good tips ....

Another thing that helps is generous amounts of:
ssllogo-sm_4.jpg

One big problem occurs when the band is completely oblivious to how bad it sounds, and thus don't want to take these steps to get it decent. Then you get to choose, either fight a pointless argument that makes you look like dick or release a sub-par product with your name on it. (Though there were some issues that I clearly stated that I will NOT have my name attached to this album unless they were adressed. They kinda got the point then).

THIS sucks. So many musicians can't even hear the difference between playing something terribly and playing something well... "Yeah that sounds sick!" Uh what...?

What's even worse is the same dudes, but the ones who are totally opposed to any sort of "cheating" on the recording. Sorry guys, learn to play your fucking instruments then.

Slip editing is king when it comes to recording stuff at slower than normal speed and speeding it back up... Sooo much faster than cutting and dragging everything then re-crossfading.

In the past, I've encountered

-If there are parts that may be too fast for the player, there's a cool technique used by several producers. Once again, solo the guitar track and have a click track going. Have the guitarist play the riff/section at half speed. It may take some time for them to adjust and figure out what 'half speed' really is. Once they perform correctly, slice before each transient. Once that is done, slice at HALF of each note. You need to make sure your grid is set up correctly. If the riff consists of mainly 16th notes, they'll be playing the riff at 8th notes, but you're targeting to make the riff at 16ths, essentially. Thus you need to have the grid set to 16th notes. Once the notes are split in half, delete/trim the second half completely off. You don't need it. Then, join the remaining notes together and you'll notice you get a realistic sounding riff.
WTF? I know these tips are only to be used if all else fails but come on. Nobody who can't play their shit at normal speed should be allowed in the studio to record anything. I would never do this. I'd rather send them home to practice and get their shit as tight as possible.

WTF? I know these tips are only to be used if all else fails but come on. Nobody who can't play their shit at normal speed should be allowed in the studio to record anything. I would never do this. I'd rather send them home to practice and get their shit as tight as possible.

This is all well and good, but in the world of engineering professionally, schedules and logistics don't permit this kind of attitude. You need to get the job done on time, you need it to sound good, and as an engineer in this situation your options are limited. Time to bust out the editing chops.

WTF? I know these tips are only to be used if all else fails but come on. Nobody who can't play their shit at normal speed should be allowed in the studio to record anything.

mastering the guitar and being able t play your songs tight is a lost art nowadays

Got a point there, but it still sucks and should not be done IMHO.

Trust me, I totally agree that it truly sucks. I've worked really hard to become a good musician, to play in tune, to play rhythmically tight, and with some amount of "feel" (whatever that means) - So it IS offensive in a way when musicians can't play their own music, either because they haven't taken the time to learn to properly play their instrument or because they just don't care. But people pay us good money to make them sound good, so that's what I try to do.

Good musicians, in my opinion, will still always sound better - there's just something intangible about a naturally good performance that hyper-edited performances can't touch. But the vast majority of the end-consumers out there don't hear it and probably don't care, so the goal with some of these bands who can't actually pull off their own music becomes one of representing the music (as opposed to the musicians themselves) in its best light. You do what you have to do to make the song sound the best that it can, and you move on with your life. It might make me throw up in my mouth a little, but it still beats the hell out of working in a cubicle.

more or less it comes to down this...

do you want to get paid or do you want to tell the band to go home and practice and they go record with somebody else

if you're recording with someone who just has no sense of timing at all, you can even let him play several notes each time without any metronome or other background, and then then just slip edit the notes into the grid

i've done it before with success

i think for a record it really doesn't matter how you archieve it, there is no such thing as cheating in my opinion, if it sounds good it is good

i don't disrespect someone as a musician just because he/she doesn't have a good technique
being heavily edited or "cheated" doesn't directly make a record less creative or musical
creativity and being able to play your own stuff well usually goes hand in hand though, so most of the time, people who can't play their stuff are actually inferior musicians, so it is only logical for people being prejudiced against them
still i think that some people who feel offended by all this "cheating" maybe define their own musicality too much through their technique
i call myself "musician", and i do have a good technique, but my technique alone doesn't contain any creativity, it is ultimately just a tool

I've done this with some of the riffs that I've recorded, mainly when it comes to sweeps though. I'm not the best those yet haha. Hate doing it, but sometimes it has to be done