half time riff tightening madness

I lean more towards retaking than editing...but...sometimes if you get a mixing job that's poorly recorded, you can't really retake, and it's kinda hard for me to let a mistake go by.
Depending on how fixable it is, I'll normally do it.
I use the same method for quatizing audio drums but for guitar/bass tracks and even vocals.

The click track is sorta like an unheard pulse of a song that everyone feels when listening. It's what you head follows when you bob/bang it to a song. If there's something that goes off (unintentionally) time-wise, it's most often considered a mistake. As long as it's not unnatural though.

If you listen to a pro album you very rarely hear time based errors.

i think a lot of you are missing the point. some people write riffs that you can't possibly play in a clean manner for recording format. unless you want all sorts of slop in your track and you're stuck in the 90's. its a new age, and production has become way more modern than the music we're writing. but there are still those few who are writing material that requires editing techniques to get the idea across.

The click track is sorta like an unheard pulse of a song that everyone feels when listening. It's what you head follows when you bob/bang it to a song. If there's something that goes off (unintentionally) time-wise, it's most often considered a mistake. As long as it's not unnatural though.

If you listen to a pro album you very rarely hear time based errors.

very correct

after several experiments, i've also come to the conclusion that when vocals are left unquantized, they tend to be early and sylables within the phrases become out of balance with this natural flow
this causes people to mis-interrpret lyrics and rhthyms...

the same goes for some bass and guitar parts.

so having everything on time actually makes the song more accessible and easier to understand.

very correct

after several experiments, i've also come to the conclusion that when vocals are left unquantized, they tend to be early and sylables within the phrases become out of balance with this natural flow
this causes people to mis-interrpret lyrics and rhthyms...

the same goes for some bass and guitar parts.

so having everything on time actually makes the song more accessible and easier to understand.

Speak about this method of quantizing vocals....you should post a thread on it......especially i would like to know about quantizing heavy vocals
So you literally go in there and line the beginning transients on the corresponding grid line.....very interested in this method

Sounds like you have cut the transients to hard, try to keep some of the string movement before the actual transient.

I think I cut exactly like Joey said....record on half speed, cut on half notes bla bla bla, crossfade, and tadamm! it still sounds like guitar pro:D maybe this works only on small, short fragments ;)

I think I cut exactly like Joey said....record on half speed, cut on half notes bla bla bla, crossfade, and tadamm! it still sounds like guitar pro:D maybe this works only on small, short fragments ;)

But I'm thinking you cut exactly where the transient is, you have to cut it a bit earlier to make it sound more natural.

you're actually not removing the natural decay of each note.
in fact, it preserves it, unlike time stretching (which skews it):heh:

I was about to write that elastic audio saves a lot of hours compared to the cutting technic. And now that I think of it the natural decay does change with elastic audio but when you have a very distorted power chord, for example, or whatever with a lot of distortion, the natural decay is pretty much gone, no? Isn't the idea to make the power chords sound like they could last forever?

"Quantizing" vocals (aggressive or normal) for me is just cutting in between words and sometimes syllables just to get the percussive part of the vox on the count. for eg. if the line "The Gravest Future" was on the click, the ephasis would be The - Gray- vahst - Fu - tcha. I'd align the syllables or emphasis on the count or grid line that corresponds.

By typing this out I can see why this idea would seem very robotic, but it's not as different and sliding in a drum phrase or set of guitar 8th note palm mutes that have been cut up. I guess it's what sounds best at the end of the day.