Quantizing drums in Logic 9

Thetraveller

New Metal Member
Jun 27, 2012
Hello,

Im working on a power metal track at the moment. The drums are standard backbeat, but with very busy 16th note & 32nd triplet double kick underneath.

The performance is mostly decent, there's nothing seriously out of time, just the standard human error you'd expect (hits not perfectly matching the grid, & a handful of hits more noticeably out of time).

Im trying to learn to use flextime & quantize in logic 9 to tidy the performance up. Ive read a bunch of tutorials online, and Im fairly sure Im doing it right (it seems to work at any rate), but I'm finding that no matter what settings I use, even when the drums are perfectly quantized, Im getting artefacts in the audio. Is this something that just happens & is unavoidable, or is it something I've overlooked when setting up the quantize?

I've been told for rhythmically complex stuff to cut the (phase locked) drum tracks into sections so you can use appropriate quanitze values for each section, but while this has helped with actually getting the stuff to quantize properly, Im still getting clicks and other artefacts.

Anyone got any ideas? (Id stress that Im more interested in learning to use logic's quantize properly than finding an unrelated solution)

Ah, thanks for the prompt response!

Ive posted this query on a couple of sound tech forums & just had people telling me not to bother quantizing the drums because it robs the performance of 'groove'. Not helpful, needless to say.

I'll try your suggestion, thanks again!

always phase lock!!! be careful what point you grab at i mostly get the overheads then edit kicks and toms separate. I spend a lot of time editing in logic and you can get it with no clicks for sure. if you want i will edit a track for ya if you want just for encouragement.

message me here oceanicmerch@gmail.com