Quantizing MIDI with Audio in Logic

AndrewPGlover

Nov 28, 2009
I was reading the Programmed Drums for People Who Hate Programmed Drums thread and somebody mentioned quantizing midi drum hits with audio overheads.

I was wondering if there is any way to do this in Logic 9 that anyone knows of. Generally with live drums I do all of my editing/quantizing and then audio to score to sound replace all of my drums and leave only a stereo overhead file from the original source.

This could potentially save a ton of time if I was able to have a midi superior file be my q and have it played on electric kick/snare/toms and then quantize and be done.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Make one of your overhead tracks a flex track, set the threshold to the sensitivity that you want and then make a groove template out of the overhead track. Then you can quantize MIDI to the groove template of the overhead track.

this is a bit off topic but I really dont understand why people are doing this with midi it just involves more hardware and with the quality of trigger vsts it really shouldn't be a problem to just trigger off the audio signal

I was the one who mentioned it in the other thread in relation to using an e-kit with real cymbals.
By using an e-kit for the drums, you have all of the MIDI without the need to convert or sample replace etc.
The biggest problem is trying to quantize the MIDI and the audio overheads so that they sync up.
I don't use Logic, but if anyone has any recommendations on how this can be easily achieved, I'd love to hear it!