half time riff tightening madness

There is so many things which bedroom producer must learn and know and practise, like mixing, programming of drums, bass, synths, messing with impulses, playing guitar, songwriting (!), using of DAW, maybe home "mastering", etc. etc. There is so little time to do all of of this at good level, we have a jobs, family, maybe other hobbies etc. So I always welcome tips and tricks like this! Thank you! I cannot understand the guys who is "against"... WTF? Only the result is important! (well, If it isn´t some conceptual art etc.)...

my thoughts exactly....i think it's part of our job to make records sound as good as possible...if that involves cheating, so be it. after all, i hightly doubt "big name" artists go in the studio and track everything first take (not exactly, but you get my point) either, so, why should the average joe do so??

and, after all, if the bands can't reproduce their own material live, people might think the band sucks...but on the other hand, chances are they will also think it's amazing how the producer made them sound that good on tape, if you know what i'm saying...

I think a majority of the users who have a "problem" with techniques like this are guitar players. So, from their perspective, they are looking at it as if they were in the shoes of the person being editing to sound amazing. I am a guitar player and for myself I know I would much rather pull it off than have a producer edit it and make it sound like I pulled it off. If I couldn't actually do it I would rather just toss the riff, as much as it would suck to do that.

But this isn't a question of personal musicianship morals here. This is a situation where the musician doesn't care and just wants that riff to be there, whether he/she can play it yet or not. In any case, it shouldn't matter anyway what is "right" or "wrong," there are no "wrongs," remember guys? Sure, we'd all prefer that somebody we are recording would want to actually play the music...but shit happens and sometimes you get fags that don't care about things the same way you do. He's not saying you should start doing this to your own music, he's just saying that in the case that you get some weak-ass musicians trying to pretend they are Dragonforce or wtf ever and they have a riff they can't actually play, this is how you would edit it to make it sound normal as if they did play it. Regardless of anything I have felt/said previously on the matter, this is how I view it now, and it makes sense to me this time around. Just gotta look at it from the angle that Joey is trying to present it from. Just like you would reamp the guitar tracks if the guy's amp blew. He doesn't really own that amp, it's cheating!!! But wait...you were just trying to get the best sound for the project, so that's ok? :lol:

~006

Am I alone in thinking that parts can actually be too tight? I mean, if you're Fear Factory, or some other band that wants to sound mechanical, that's fine, do whatever you have to do to get that sound. For me personally, sometimes when I write a song I'll just lay a particular riff down with slop here and there (as I just wrote the riff and haven't had time to really memorize it fully), and then later go back and tighten everything up to make it "perfect", only to find that I actually preffered the "sloppy" version. I'm not talking assloads of slop, but just a little loose to where it sounds more like two guitarists playing the same part, as opposed to everything right on the button. Sometimes when things are too tight it gets boring to me. Does anyone else feel this way?

Oh yea, and "David Gilmour".

Yeah I've always preferred some chunky sloppy rythm, and nice tight leads but it all points to dimebag. He plays the fuck out of a song, after he's happy with it he went back and tracked it again to match. Even solos. Also he's dripping with feel and soul, all in a processed to fuck sound. RIP :(

Dude holy fuck you are joey sturgis wtf. i love the mix on for the fallen dreams. and why did you have to make prada good?

old tread up ;P
ok, I have problem, when I record riff with this technique...the result is - guitar which sounds like total synth on melodic parts...and is there any possibility to decrease this "synth efect"? maybe Brian, or Joey can write something, i know you guys uses this technique with good results
cheers!

Well are you doing the edits to the DI track, or the already-processed track? Cuz it's a lot easier to hide if you do it to the DI!

I dunno, doesn't sound too bad to me! I mean, a little noticeable, but I assume this wouldn't be on a finished product, so who cares?

You know this is actually pretty damn usefull... for dragonforce

:lol:

but no seriously congrats on this post ;)

Is this what they do? I always thought they used midi out to snap their guitars into key.... Either way they play like shit raw yet all the kids worship them.

And anyone here who's writing or producing metal with money in mind needs to get a fucking clue.

Am I alone in thinking that parts can actually be too tight? I mean, if you're Fear Factory, or some other band that wants to sound mechanical, that's fine, do whatever you have to do to get that sound. For me personally, sometimes when I write a song I'll just lay a particular riff down with slop here and there (as I just wrote the riff and haven't had time to really memorize it fully), and then later go back and tighten everything up to make it "perfect", only to find that I actually preffered the "sloppy" version. I'm not talking assloads of slop, but just a little loose to where it sounds more like two guitarists playing the same part, as opposed to everything right on the button. Sometimes when things are too tight it gets boring to me. Does anyone else feel this way?

Oh yea, and "David Gilmour".

Thanks and big +1, a bit of sloppyness makes it all just more human, just like too tight drums are boring as well.

I actually see no shame in using this technique, but then again.. I wouldn't use it on the main riffs and melodies, I would rather use it as an actual effect instead and make it really obvious. I think it sounds cool with unnaturally sounding guitars as an effect. And as with any effect... too much of it ain't good either.