Guitar Noise Reduction

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Okay I've asked this question before but I never really got the answer I was looking for. Any opinions would be great, I truly value the information shared here. Please keep this thread about noise reduction. I have a little trouble with noise in my guitar and bass tracks. I've done everything humanly possible (gear, electrical, cables, outside sources, the works) I've come to the conclusion that my area is noisy. I get amazing results with my mics and my monitoring but anything with strings/pickups it gets a touch noisy when im tracking di's. Im trying to determine if i should get something outboard like a ISP Decimator 2 or purchase a high quality noise reduction plugin (izotope, waves, etc) . The main reason im leaning towards outboard is because i like to get things right at the source. But my reason for not using outboard is that I don't see too many people using one when tracking di's. Thanks everyone.

Rig:
RME Fireface 800
Great River 1NV
Mac Mini w/PT10
HS80's
Good Cables

Upload a clip of the problem.

It could be just a problem a noise gate at the source would fix, it could be a mains hum or the guitar pickups could be rubbish/ Microphonic etc... But theres no way of anyone being able to identify it without hearing it.

Okay ran into studio on my lunch. Quick take.

It is a gibson les paul, good cable directly into the instrument input on the front of the fireface. no options just clean.

What you are hearing at the start of clip is me touching metal then not touching metal. Grounding the guitar. then just a few open notes (prob not in tune) it was a dine and dash.

The file noise raw is just di no processing

the file noise is di with pod farm on it with amp and cab no gates etc.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98263937/noise raw.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98263937/noise.wav

I have other guitars/basses beside this that behave the same.
Thanks everyone.

How close are you tracking to your computer/hard drives? I had to move my computer father away from where I track recently after I found that the HD was causing noise.

It reacts the same through a pod with no computer involved at all. And i do use a power conditioner. I have other guitars and basses, they all react similar. The mystery continues or either im just expecting to much. Are you hearing what i am hearing? Is it normal?

Honestly can't really hear much noise, I think its just a serious case of Podfarmness. Try a high and low pass.

I can't remember what thread it was in and I can't find it but someone said there is loads of nastieness between 3000 and 4000hz they EQ out surgically (probably best to do in a mix).

Its not just pod farm, i can hear the noise without processing. I may be overplaying it. Just wanted some advice, I dont want to begin tracking my new album with this in the back of my head the whole time.

Waves znoise if you have no other options. It can really clean a d.i track. I tried it few times for testing purposes.

Why don't you try a DI that someone else on the forum has recorded and check if the noise is still there?

Edit:
You could give it a go but it might effect the quality of the DI.

My brother's Fernadez did that. He got a new backplate for it and the screw holes were in a different place so we drilled new ones.
One of them was over the input on the guitar and if we screwed it in far enough it touched something inside that made the guitar do that.
I've seen (heard) a lot of guitar do that when you let go of the strings.
Try jumping in the air and not touching the strings and see if it still does it.

The guitar is supposed to ground when i touch it, that is the way it supposed to work. There is nothing wrong with the guitar. (aside from more shielding maybe). The noise isnt very noticeable , I just wanted no noise whatsoever, maybe thats not the case with any guitars, am i expecting to much. The one thing I do know is that I've gotten a ton of input and answers which i greatly appreciate, but none of the suggestions have answered my question thus far, I have been dealing with this for almost a year :(, The only things i have not tried are outboard noise suppressors/gates I also have not tried an expensive standalone di. I do have a Great River 1nv with DI and RME fireface with DI and POD XT and they all react the same so I didnt want to waste my money on a standalone di. the only thing my di boxes dont have is a ground lift button.

No I mean download a guitar DI track of Ola or someone else from the forum playing and see if the noise is there still when you use it in podfarm.

And a guitar most definitely should not ground when you touch it. The wiring should be earthed so touching it doesn't make a difference, you're equipment should also be grounded or double insulated so you don't get electrocuted. You're flesh should never be the easier route for electricity to travel.

It's not that I use pod farm only. I just used that for example, I hear the noise on a clean di. Or with any ampsim or reamp. And I far as I understand the guitar should be "grounded" with a ground wire going to the bridge or tailpiece, so when your hand touches the strings, it "grounds". That's why I'm asking these questions though, I'm by no means a guitar technician. Thanks for your help so far.

Be carful where your guitar is when you record. RF and EMF can fuck with pick-ups. I remember my flat screen broke, so I had to pull out the old (and big) SVGA monitor, and the noise was so bad thru the guitar wiring, that I had to turn off the monitor while recording. Try recording in different parts of the room, away from electronics.