SM57/Mesa vs. Palmer PDI-03 vs. Redwirez cab IR (clips inside)

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
I did a comparison between three very different guitar recording techniques:
  1. Micing my Mesa 4x12 cabinet (Black Shadow speakers) with a Shure SM57. Link.
  2. Silently recording the speaker-outs of the amp with a Palmer PDI-03 loadbox/speaker emulator, using the speaker emulation of the Palmer PDI-03. Link.
  3. Same approach as 2. but I recorded the line-outs of the Palmer PDI-03 (bypassing the speaker emulation, but still getting the power amp sound of my amp) and applied a Redwirez Mesa 4x12 V30 SM57 CapEdge 2in cabinet impulse using Mellowmuse IR1A. Link.
The amp has been a Bugera 6260 in all cases, the guitar has been a Gibson Les Paul Standard with stock pickups.

I did not want to make all the clips sound the same, just similar, so expect major differences. The Redwirez version is the only one without any post-EQ.

I posted this just in case someone is interested in these options and how they might sound, but I appreciate any comments you might have.

I've been doing the 3rd approach for years now. It's very comfortable for recording demos and doesn't sound that bad at all if you use good impulses.

i also do the 3rd approach with my palmer pga 04 and add impulses......but i always liked a good miced amp better...i think your 1st clip sounded the best for me

i also do the 3rd approach with my palmer pga 04 and add impulses......but i always liked a good miced amp better...i think your 1st clip sounded the best for me
I looked up the PGA 04's specs but I did not see the line-outs of the PDI-03 at the back of the unit, just the balanced and unbalanced recording outputs (including the speaker emulation)...

I looked up the PGA 04's specs but I did not see the line-outs of the PDI-03 at the back of the unit, just the balanced and unbalanced recording outputs (including the speaker emulation)...

yeah i use the unbalanced output with the volume filter off and use impulses

real mic wins the round. MIC infinite - Impulse 0.
impulses sound always dead and scooped. Listen to the mids on the real mic and live your life.