Is there any standalone, IR-based cabinet emulator besides the AxeFx out there?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
My preferred recording setup is running an amp through my Palmer PDI-03 speaker emulator (using only the loadbox) and into my DAW and then through convolution plugins where I apply cabinet IRs (Redwirez mainly).
But I am using a UAD-2 which induces a shitload of delay and that prevents any low-latency monitoring of the guitar signal. I do not like the Palmer's own speaker emulation that much.

Is there any standalone box out there that can do the speaker emulation based on user-loadbale cabinet IRs? I could use my AxeFx for that, but that would be a bit oversized and I am planning to get rid of it.
I could use a Line 6 POD to do so (bypassing everything but the cab emulation), but it doesn't sound very inspiring as well.

Is the AxeFx the only box that does convolution based cabinet simulation?

EDIT: I just read a few threads away that the Digitech GSP 1101 may be able to load IRs in the future?

My preferred recording setup is running an amp through my Palmer PDI-03 speaker emulator (using only the loadbox) and into my DAW and then through convolution plugins where I apply cabinet IRs (Redwirez mainly).
But I am using a UAD-2 which induces a shitload of delay and that prevents any low-latency monitoring of the guitar signal. I do not like the Palmer's own speaker emulation that much.

Is there any standalone box out there that can do the speaker emulation based on user-loadbale cabinet IRs? I could use my AxeFx for that, but that would be a bit oversized and I am planning to get rid of it.
I could use a Line 6 POD to do so (bypassing everything but the cab emulation), but it doesn't sound very inspiring as well.

Is the AxeFx the only box that does convolution based cabinet simulation?

EDIT: I just read a few threads away that the Digitech GSP 1101 may be able to load IRs in the future?

It can load ten of them currently, but not sure how good the quality on those are yet. I think the torpedo is another unit?
http://www.thomann.de/nl/two_notes_torpedo_vb101.htm

If you wanted something cheaper you could probably build some small form factor PC and use that. You could set it up so as soon as it boots up it loads a VST program that loads Boogex with your impulse and there you have it. I would probably use Windows 98 so you can just shut it off without using a mouse, you would just use the power button and nothing would get messed up. I used to build stuff like this, I was selling MAME arcade machines based on a W98 PC based system and I wrote my own front-loader program in C and some batch files.

Honestly for $300 you could build an ISO cab with a built in mic and just have the FOH engineer hand you an XLR to plug into the dog house on the outside of the box. Put a single 12 inch speaker of your liking in it.

benefits:
Real Speaker
Real Mic
Low Volume
Low Price
No worry of blowing your amp

Disadvantage:
More Bulky

If you wanted something cheaper you could probably build some small form factor PC and use that. You could set it up so as soon as it boots up it loads a VST program that loads Boogex with your impulse and there you have it. I would probably use Windows 98 so you can just shut it off without using a mouse, you would just use the power button and nothing would get messed up. I used to build stuff like this, I was selling MAME arcade machines based on a W98 PC based system and I wrote my own front-loader program in C and some batch files.
assembling a cheap pc and running reaper with lecab or boogex sounds cery very reasonable to me. didn't think about it.

What arcade style joystick did you use for your killer MAME machines, SimonSez?