AcmeBarGig Cabinet Enhancer RELEASED

ok no comments here..But I do have to say that is a killer guitar tone on both of them...sounds a lot like DIG 2.5..

KM

Ok, so I messed about with the EAR technology. Now it seems EAR changes the tone just by having it turned on, so the tonal differences are apparent between the following two clips anyway, but see if you can pick out which one is with EAR and which one is without it, I would invite Ken to not comment until I reveal the results as I feel he will already know which is which, by how the tone changes when EAR is enabled.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/371262/Riff1.wav
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/371262/Riff2.wav

Wow, the difference is massive. I really don't know which one is which though.

but if you guys wanna try them I'll post a link here for you, but just keep in mind that they are heavy on CPU...

Put them up:D I want to try them..and I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one. Don't worry about the CPU load either....I know some people here have monster computers (including a certain individual with a brand new i7 I will not mention). If that thing gets stolen, it wasn't me!

Ok just have to make sure they are still in that configuration..I may have worked on them and changed some stuff...Also these are actaully PRE BETA...So, be careful with them and when testing make sure you keep your levels down until you're sure there is no spikes...

Send me an email to ken@acmebargig.com and I'll send you the link...Thats better than just posting them here. I need to be able to make sure that I can remove the link at any time...and...Given my experience as of late, I am not posting anything anywhere anymore. Thats why we are not including a direct download link any longer...But sure man I will send them to you guys no problem...

KM

ok no comments here..But I do have to say that is a killer guitar tone on both of them...sounds a lot like DIG 2.5..

KM

Thanks Ken! if DIG 2.5 sounds like that, then I'd love to play with it!

Wow, the difference is massive. I really don't know which one is which though.

Yeah, there is a huge difference, I personally can't really hear EAR working on these clips, but then again my ears are pretty hammered from mixing earlier on.

EAR is subtle...That tone is possible in DIG 2.5 because of the Tube Filter, whereas I believe you need to add a filter of some sort somewhere else in the signal path to achieve it...
KM

EAR is subtle...That tone is possible in DIG 2.5 because of the Tube Filter, whereas I believe you need to add a filter of some sort somewhere else in the signal path to achieve it...
KM

Yeah, I thought it might be the case that it's pretty subtle, and requires closer listening to hear it working. What do you mean by a filter? An EQ?

No like an actual filter. You can do it with a standard EQ as well, but A lot of Amp Sim manufacturers have an extra filter before the gain stage. Thae why some amp sims take to a more nasal tone better than others(Which is a great tone). I went a step further in DIG 2.5, I added a filter in between the tubes. I wanted to be able to emulate the balls to the walls sound from accept, and this did it.

So as far as EAR and its subtleness. I should have said EAR is subtle but the tonal changes are not. The tonal changes have little to do with EAR, They are part of the filtering and EQ. Ear is more about a live Feel than tonal changes. It is also more about dynamics than tone as well.

So which is which? Please don't tell me you forgot! :)
KM

Thanks for your reply about the IR loader Ken. So from your opinion, it is best to use keFIR right now since it sounds like you are not done with those plugins? It's a shame keFIR isn't "doing it" for me, but I love Revalver's IR loader. I wish I could buy just the damn IR section of Revalver :( I'm sure as hell not going to buy Revalver just to use the IR loader, and with the recent advancements of freeware amp sims like DIG, SoloC and 8505.. Revalver is going down the poop drain.

Anyhow, I would gladly wait and donate a little something if one of those plugins could load an IR in an efficient way, without introducing any strange artifacts to the sound. As far as I know, keFIR is the only free IR loader that actually works. I have tried others but they have been pretty horrible/useless.

The first clip is without EAR, second is with, though I may do a better comparison soon Ken.

Cool, I happened to like clip #2 slightly more, but only after a little while of listening. EAR introduces quite a bit of boominess which we all try to tame with multiband compression and shit, but I guess EAR is awesome for tones that are way too freakin' sterile and linear. It seems to do its thing atleast, very cool plugin.

Really!...see and I was completely backwards. I thought Clip 1 was with EAR! Very cool..There will be an EAR Enhancement coming that tames the bottom end down.

Using an old 1970's technology I just re-found. Basically you lowpass the signal, apply compression to it, then pass it through a widening delay. This will make the bottom end very big and clear...Anyways I'm going to add that to ear..

KeFIR...Well you can use any IR loader, its too bad I can't get ours a little more together. One of our friends will be releasing their new amp at our site coming soon...It has a stereo IR loader in it, and it is fabulous, I'm really proud to call this guy a friend. Who is it? LePOU and his new Solo_C. We have the ABG testers using it right now and I can tell you first hand It is great! Now if I can only get our amps sounding that good!

Donations... We still are not taking them, we are still in freeware mode, but that is really nice of you to offer...thanks..Probably toward the winter time I'll start selling some VST effects, the price will not be very hard to deal with though. probably like 15-25 usd..That does not mean we'll stop with freeware though, we are committed to that. Its just that by then we'll need funding to continue..

KM

Hey Ken,

I'm really excited about Lepou's new Solo_C and the stereo IR loader you mentioned! Do you have any info on how the CPU usage is relative to for example keFIR? Also, does it process in stereo all the time, or can it be switched to mono for "traditional" usage?

I don't think you guys will have trouble selling any VSTs, and I would sure as hell be trying them out and buying the ones I find good use for.

Actually Gojira, Unforunately I don't really have that much info on it, like details...You can always go to the ABG forum and one of the testers who are lucky enough to play guitar everyday could go way more in depth. Actually we are just lifting the Non-disclosure on them for it. So they can speak freely about it. I never get time to play anymore..The only thing I can say is its fabulous! An absolutely stellar job by LePou..

We will be selling hopefully by December, but maybe sooner. We will still be releasing fully functional freeware though even after we make the move to commercial. We will be selling the upgrades to all the freeware...Average price will be like $10-$15 USD..

So speaking of effects...Here's another I just finished today

Its called Oxide. It has 4 filters controlled by to waves. 135 Different waves in total to choose from. Stereo pans for each filter, res, and a stereo delay to put the finishing touch on..
Here's the image..
OxideScreen.jpg

I may release this this week..It has gone out to the testers so we'll see what they have to say..
KM