What am I doing wrong? Anyone with a Dual Rec do reamping?

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
First of all ill start with my gear. Im using a Schecter Hellraiser c1 special with EMG 81 - Ibanez ts9 Tube Screamer - 5150ii head (with tad 6l6 tubes) - Mesa Oversized straight cab - sm57 (also tried it in combination with akg c214 and sm7b)

Im very curios to see what the DIs would sound like through a Dual Rec. Anyone that can reamp have any example clips of dual rec tones they can get?

I dont know if its the guitar Im using or just that I suck at recording, but Ive spent 8 hours each day for about 4 or 5 days reamping. Ive tried every possible mic placement, angle and combination with every possible head setting and cant get a good tone. Any idea why this is? There is just no low end. Not sure if this is the best tone I got but here is an example (very quick mix and temporary drums. Skip to 42 seconds in because I didnt record the clean intro yet)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140656441/amaz ish bounce one 57.mp3

Ive gotten decent tones before but dont know why I cant now. Here is one of the better ones from a mic test i did a while back

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140656441/mic song master logic test.wav

put the mic right into the grill. use the proximity effect for low end. use another mic off center of the same speaker to capture all the lows and low mids. blend to taste. that should get you in the ballpark. i would do a 57 right on center for all the high and high mids, put that sm7b off center to the very end of the speaker cone to capture all the lows and low mids. pull some highs out of the sm7 mic, and pulls some lows out of the 57.

its probably your placement. are you able to turn up your volume in your room? are you recording really low, i.e. in an apartment?

Luckily I was tracking the Triple Rectifier when I saw this so ran it quickly.
TS808 left and MXR badass OD right into triple rectifier into os recto cab >57 > ISA 828.
Your DI tracks are really good so thats not the problem.
Straight off the mic with no EQ or anything.
https://copy.com/ZxL8Hw4mwHieYqDy

Here are the re-amped guitar wavs if you want to import them into your project.
https://copy.com/8sQiXaGpffewQRjQ

WOW!! Love this thread!!

May i ask you for the wavs of the 6505 guitars reamped only? I want to compare them with the recto ones.
Currently i'm working on my "emulating with vst" skills and to have a real amp take would be priceless

Thanks in advance

Thanks so much mickrich for doing that! Unfortunately whatever I was hearing that I didnt like Im still hearing. Witch I guess means its my guitar causing the problems right?
I tried playing the song with another guitar real quick (Charvel Desolation DS-1ST) but it didnt even sound as good as the one in my first post.

Outloaf. What Kind of guitar do you use for all your Mark V songs on your soundcloud. it sounds amazing. wish i could get that kind of tone.

and dominogooo here are the tracks you asked for.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wuo3zuvinik04l/5150ii for domingooo.zip

Sorry, I got absolutely swamped today. For most of the soundcloud stuff it was a cheap Gibson sg with stock pickups..
Here's what a crunchlab sounds like with no tube screamer though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j94pxle602ky7t9/Triple%20Rec%20no%20TS%20terrible%20riff.wav

First of all it would possibly help if you described what you don't like about your reamped tracks.

Here are my reamped tracks (all direct Dropbox links)...

Mesa Dual Rectifier (Red/Modern)
Raw Tracks:
Gtrs_DualRec_RiF.zip
Mix Preview:
Mix_Recto_RiF.mp3

Bugera 6260 (Lead Channel/Low Gain Input)
Raw Tracks:
Gtrs_6260_RiF.zip
Mix Preview:
Mix_6260_RiF.mp3

The chain for both reamps was:
Palmer Daccapo -> OD808 clone (75/0/0) -> <Amp> -> Mesa 4x12 /w Black Shadow (aka C90) speakers -> SM57 (capedge, right on the grille) -> BAE 1073MP

The mix previews have just a simple HP(90Hz)/LP(12KHz) EQ on the guitars, the Waves SSL Buss Compressor and Ozone 5's Limiter on the stereo bus.

BTW, tk7261, your mix had been brickwall limited to -7.5 dB RMS!!! Less is more, I'd say...

Thanks so much for doing that RiF!! I really needed to hear it through other amps. Huge help. As far as describing what I dont like about my tracks, it kinda sounds like there is a blanket over it. I feel like its lacking low end and clarity. It just doesnt sound as nice as some of the tones Ive heard from people with setups similar to what I was using. Your reamps definitely added some nice low end in there I was lacking in mine! Much more satisfying than what I got.

As far as the mastering goes, I mastered my bands first release really quiet. It always really bugged my when I went to listen to it just after a professional record. Just trying to keep up. But to be honest I wasnt really paying attention, and was just throwing something on the master to hear cause it was just a tone test (and not the final mix mix). I did a bunch of tests and didnt take the time to really sit down and master them all. After I do the mixes and start to master the whole Ep I will actually listen to all the songs together and decide what I like then.

But yea. I heard some other stuff each of you have done, and you have gotten some awesome tones that I really dig. So if there is anything Im not liking then obviously its something on my end. A new guitar could only help right?

You're welcome! It has been fun doing this because I really dig the vibe of the tune. Please shoot me a PM when the songs get released!

Although I still don't have an exact picture of what you're heading for (examples of bands?), I'd like to add some random thoughts:
- Like Mickrich said, the DIs sound great, so I would be very surprised if a different guitar significantly changed anything
- Your setup (EMG-Schecter, TS, 5150, Mesa OS, 57) is pretty common and there's no weak spot in it
- If case you want both low-end and crispiness, a two-mic setup could get you there. Or try to put the 57 off-axis?
- Did you try all speakers in your cab? In my cab all 4 speakers sound completely different
- How loud are you running your amp when recording? e.g. if I go past 2 or 3 on the Bugera, the tone gets very mid-heavy and the crispiness starts to goes away, so I keep the volume a little lower. Could be my room, though.

Im just using my apogee duet for everything.

And awesome. Im really glad you like the vibe. Theres a bunch of little things we didnt track yet so Im hoping the final version will turn out cool. Ill let you know when have it. And yea I actually did a speaker shootout a while ago to see which speaker I like the best. The top left won. I tried recording at a couple different volumes ranging in loudness/softness. I also tried a bunch of two mic stuff with a bunch of different mics.

I think this might show you what Im hearing. Here is a test I did of one of my bands songs with my Schecter and then with my USA Tele. Mic position and everything the same. I just changed the head settings a little for the Tele. (ignore the cleans haha they are both the tele with 2 year old strings)

Schecter-
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140656441/schecter (for schecter vs t.mp3

Tele-
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140656441/tele (for schecter vs tele).mp3

After listening to the Schecter/Tele tracks, I am pretty sure that an EMG-humbucker-equipped / mahogany body / set-neck guitar might not be the best choice for your style of playing. The Tele is the clear winner to my ears in this round, because it provides the necessary note separation, edge and crisp attack.
The single coils might not be the best for chugging riffs (like some in your first reamping track), so a single-coil-format humbucker in the same guitar (Tele) could be the way to go. Or simply add a pair of supporting tracks for those parts with your Schecter.

After listening to the second track, I like your music even more. Is there anything available from your band somewhere?

HI guys!!
Well... i've taked all your reamps and mix it in a single take

this is de order

tk7261 6505 Reamps
mickrich recto
Riff Recto
Riff bugera
and... my own attemp using x50 (i'm pretty happy with my own sound)

and reppeat the round

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure RiF. So glad you like it. For Real! You can download (which I recommend so the bandcamp comp doesnt make it sound like crap) our music at http://teethforteeth.bandcamp.com/

Our latest 2 track release we tried to make softer just to have something different to play. For our very first release on there we werent very good yet, but there is a diy video we did for one of the songs on youtube. Im hoping the new stuff will blow all the old stuff out of the water though. So I cant wait to have that to show people.

And they all sound awesome guys. Im really learning a lot from this thread. Hearing how things change between versions and what is common between them. You guys are my heroes for helping me out haha.

I love that comparison domingooo! Helpful to hear em all back to back. I got some cool tones out of my tele when I went to record the full version yesterday. As soon as I get something new for the heavy tones Ill post em.