What am I doing so horribly wrong that I prefer real amp+impulses over a miced cab?

@EMD, I understand you... I have the same problem. I have a nice tight tone in my gigs, people congratulates me for that. But when micing it... it is lifeless, not tight enough...
No matter what amp, mic or cabinet I use in studio. Some tones are more or less decent, but not good enough, and most of them sound like shit.

I tried every spot on the speaker milimeter by milimeter.
I can't beat my own Onqel's ampsims tones.:confused:

You guys should convince me to try around more :D no but for real: I totaly understand you Jevil! It's almost the exact same thing for me. I'm really scared to reamp the tracks for our upcoming album. That's not the ways it should be :)

Okay I was wrong and miced amps rule much more. You just need good musicians.

Allow me to tell you what of the following I'd choose:

1. A mic'd amp going into an M-Audio Profire2626.

OR

2. An Impulse captured in a kick-ass professional environment with an Api3124/Neve and an Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA converter.

--------------------------

I would go for NO.2

Allow me to tell you what of the following I'd choose:

1. A mic'd amp going into an M-Audio Profire2626.

OR

2. An Impulse captured in a kick-ass professional environment with an Api3124/Neve and an Apogee Rosetta 200 AD/DA converter.

--------------------------

I would go for NO.2

NO.1 here :D:Smokin:

you may like to check this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/689230-first-spoiler-our-upcoming-album-lots-real-stuff-100-real-snare-toms.html

some people really liked my reamped guitars and since then I'm pretty convinced I need to take more time to get the micing right. Oh, and btw: My favourite impulse was tracked in a untreated room with ok gear ;)

I tried to match the sound of amp + imuplse with a mic and the result was so much better. I tracked those guitars in an untreated room next to my "studio". How much does the room change the sound when you're close micing anyway?

I tried to match the sound of amp + imuplse with a mic and the result was so much better. I tracked those guitars in an untreated room next to my "studio". How much does the room change the sound when you're close micing anyway?

I'm at school right now so can't really visit the link. An untreated room would produce low-mid/low-end resonances irrespective of how close the mic is. But hey, if it sounds good, it sounds good! :devil:

mic technique definately,this is a true audio engineering thing that takes a lot of experimentation and can make your sound killer or destroy it absolutely.
another huge fact is the head/cab.
we all know that for metal stuff you need good models like the peavey 6505,mesa dual rectifier,diezel or even sansamp preamp with a good poweramp bla bla.
the strings definately play a role,and of course the performance.
i think that you will make it if you experiment,this issue needs time and i have also failed in the past in order to improve it,that's evolution haha.
even know you have to worry about it