Can I record cab with mixed source (amp sim > REAL amp > REAL cab) with this mixer ?

Jan 30, 2008
France
Hi, have tried to make this setup:

guitar > mixer > amp sim (on Reaper) > REAL power amp (Peavey 50/50) > REAL cab (custom 2x12)

Used some well known amp sims like Recto, X50,... and it sounds really great with this setup (without cab sims on Reaper track, of course).

Now, I'd like to know if, with this mixer, it would be possible to mic and record sound from the cabs, to Reaper !

I've made some attempts with a SM57 on track 1 on the mixer, but failed everytime...Reaper recorded guitar sound from amp sim, without any use of my REAL gear...

Here is the schematic of my setup:

And here are the specs of my mixer:

So, could it be possible to do this, in a mix and without recording project playback ?

Do I need any other gear, I already have ATH M40 headphones and guitar DI from Behringer in any case (GI100) http://common.musikia.com/650/M0020435_650_650_1.png

Thanks, I hope there is a way, maybe there is just one little detail I forgot...:rolleyes:

Not the best routing solution you have there.

If you insist using that mixer, I would suggest you do it like this:

* Don't route the listen path thru the mixer, just go straight from interface output to the speakers
* From guitar to DI box input, disengage the speaker sim and route to channel 1 in Reaper (and on the mixer if it only has a stereo input, pan it to the left on the mixer), monitor using an ampsim in Reaper, record as normal
* When you have recorded, then reamp the DI signal. Just do what you do in Reaper then route it to an output in your interface to the power amp and route SM57 to channel 2 in Reaper (and on the mixer pan it to the right)

If your recording interface has separate preamps, just don't use the mixer

Ok, thanks !

So, my audio interface is the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, so no preamp...

If I understand well, the only way to achieve what I want is to reamp my DI signal ?