Amp sim FX chain order

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'm sure this is well documented somewhere, but with the interwebz being the forum to give everyone a voice, lets just say my search results were less than convincing. I'd rather hear it from you Sneapster wizards.

Obviously the order of the effects chain is going to have a big impact on the final result.

Here's what I've been doing:

- Booster (Tube Screamer)
- Amp sim
- Cab sim or impulse
- EQ
- compressor
- trim

- AUX for reverb

Some of my thoughts on this order:

- I don't necessarily use all of these, this is just the order I put them in. For example I don't usually have a TS in front or reverb on individual guitars

- EQ before compression as if the eq is after the compressor you might alter frequencies the compression took care of, for example put back unwanted frequencies that the compressor took out.

- I've been putting a trim on the end as a lot of plugs/amp sims boost the shit out the signal, this way I can bring the level back down to the -18db(ish) range

- I've been striping out as many FX from the amp sim so it just does the amp head. I might add a TS in front if amp head in side the sim or out side in the FX chain

- Aux for reverb so there is a wet and dry channel

Any thoughts?

EDIT:
What a shit thread title. It really should have been "Guitar FX chain order" or something like that. Oh well... too late now.

I think the order you're running these items in, and your reasoning behind it, is pretty similar to the way most of us run it. Depending on my DI or signal going in, sometimes I'll do a pre-EQ to only lowpass really harsh frequencies I don't want the TS/Ampsim/Cabsim boosting (like in the 14kHz+ range). Other than that I'd say pretty similar.

Are you happy with the results you've been getting from this order of things? Or are you just trying to get new ideas on what things to add to or rearrange your chain? Not sure what you're looking for... like what's your goal and sound you're going for?

No compressor for me unless the sound is clean guitar. Trim can be accomplished with the amp controlls and if the cab sim has it, could be done there as well. The more you can take out of the chain and have desirable results, the better off your cpu usage is.

Similarly, I go:

Booster
Amp
Cab
EQ
Gate

I've only used a compressor on distorted guitars once. You don't typically need it.

You might be better off with the gate first because it's not having to deal with amp noises between sounds to begin with, hence why people have an ISP decimator before the preamp on a real amp. Or just editing any stops in the song out on the wav file, then you dont even need a gate. I've even stopped using OD sims lately. Just amp/cab impulse/hp & lp filter then it's all just amp settings from there. Just my 2 cents

TS
Head
Optional high mid eq cut
Cab
PRINTPRINTPRINTPRINTPRINT
EQ
Limit

:D

Why print here? Commitment to your craft? :D

No compressor for me unless the sound is clean guitar. Trim can be accomplished with the amp controlls and if the cab sim has it, could be done there as well. The more you can take out of the chain and have desirable results, the better off your cpu usage is.

I've tried the trim at the amp head but it doesn't sound the same.

Similarly, I go:

Booster
Amp
Cab
EQ
Gate

I've only used a compressor on distorted guitars once. You don't typically need it.

I'm only compressing a little in the low end to keep palm mutes under control. Maybe I'll get rid of it.