Audio interface to power amp

Reykor

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2016
Hey guys, so I wanna try to use amp sims with a real cab. I have a laptop with an apogee one audio interface. My idea was to plug the guitar to apogee, then apogee to logic and finally, connect the apogee's headphone output to an amp's Effects Loop return (in order to use the power amp in the amp) and then the amp is connected to a cab. Apogee's headphone output is 1/8", will a regular 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter work, using a regular guitar cable to connect to the power amp?

Thanks

It'll work fine. In theory there's a slight loss of sound quality, but I doubt you'll notice.

Reactions: Reykor
You may experience lower volume since headphone out probably doesn't have as high output as preamp output, but if that's intended for home jamming it shouldn't be a problem.
Also there could be impedance mismatch chance.
But you have to try it out to see what your situation actually is.

Reactions: Reykor
line level operates at roughly 1V and may go higher on high volume, BUT many guitar amps don´t run their preamp output that hot. Except if you really do run your channel volumes at maximum all the time ;)

headphone out can be capped at 150mV to limit maximum volume, but some high level headphone outs are able to spit out up to 2V.

No idea what the Apogee is like, you might experience said loss in volume. You might as well don´t notice any difference. But in any case, it will work, because driving (high impedance ) line ins is easier than driving (low impedance) headphones.

I am running a laptop in my guitar rig as well, in the FX loop just like you want to. Its line out is able to give a HUGE boost. With huge, I mean that I can´t even turn my master to 9 o´clock anymore, because maximum volume is reached at 8:30 already. So a phones out should work absolutely fine with my amp

Last edited:
line level operates at roughly 1V and may go higher on high volume, BUT many guitar amps don´t run their preamp output that hot. Except if you really do run your channel volumes at maximum all the time ;)

headphone out can be capped at 150mV to limit maximum volume, but some high level headphone outs are able to spit out up to 2V.

No idea what the Apogee is like, you might experience said loss in volume. You might as well don´t notice any difference. But in any case, it will work, because driving (high impedance ) line ins is easier than driving (low impedance) headphones.

I am running a laptop in my guitar rig as well, in the FX loop just like you want to. Its line out is able to give a HUGE boost. With huge, I mean that I can´t even turn my master to 9 o´clock anymore, because maximum volume is reached at 8:30 already. So a phones out should work absolutely fine with my amp

Thank you for the answer, the apogee actually has the option to select an AMP output used for instrument amps so that might not be a problem!