Amp-sim to a real cabinet : possible?

Internity

May 29, 2010
hi there

I just had a thought about this -
is reamping a signal that has "amp-sim" to a cabinet can work? is the reamp box will work like a preamp and wont destroy the cab or something?

Just for theory , interesting thing .. because if it could work it would kinda cool :)

As mva801 said, you need a poweramp, unless you buy an active cab such as Fractal´s Atomic ones.

Yup, just run the signal through the amp sim and then back out to a power amp and cab. My last two guitar rigs have worked like this, but with hardware modelers.

As said you've gotta have a poweramp for this. Works really well if you use a valve poweramp as I find it smooths out the fizziness of the modellers.

I've experimented a bit with running podfarm into the fx return of my 6505, it always seems to be super bright and fizzy and I end up low passing the signal before it hits the amp and turning the presence all the way down. The results so far aren't terribly exciting, but I need to play with it a bit a bit more, maybe try different amp sims. A warning to anyone trying this, the post gain on the 6505 seems to be before the loop, so make sure you turn the track you are sending out to the amp way down before hitting play

I did this with my recently acquired Mesa 2:90 power amp, sounded pretty good.

I haven't tried running through the FX Return of a regular head, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/22Caliber or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/44Magnum

Power amps in pedal format. ampsim >interface output > 22 cal/44 mag pedal > cab > :)

wow, awesome thing!

have you ever used one and can comment on the sound and how loud it can get?

wouldn't you need a re-amp box if you're coming out of your interface?

oh and would it be possible to just use the poweramp section of any old guitar amp?
I don't know much about the signal flow of guitar amps but could I patch in the signal from the interface to just the poweramp section of a guitar amp?

I don't know much about the signal flow of guitar amps but could I patch in the signal from the interface to just the poweramp section of a guitar amp?

that's what a few of us were talking about above, plug the input into the FX RETURN.

Signal flow in guitar amp is generally like this:
GUITAR INPUT > PREAMP > TONE CONTROLS > FX SEND |____| FX RETURN > POWER SECTION

pluggin into the FX Return will inject your signal right before the power amp and bypass the preamp/tonestack. anything you plug in there acts as a preamp for the power section.

I did that tech. today. Guitar DI to sound card(Maudio Firewire 410). I used Legion, Lecto, TSE X30, TSE X50 ampsims, one by one. And I routed my signal to my "Line 6 Valve MKII w/ Bogner tube amp" power amp in channel.(cab has celestion v30)
Sound was really organic, warm. No one could say it's an ampsim. :Smokin:

that's what a few of us were talking about above, plug the input into the FX RETURN.

Signal flow in guitar amp is generally like this:
GUITAR INPUT > PREAMP > TONE CONTROLS > FX SEND |____| FX RETURN > POWER SECTION

pluggin into the FX Return will inject your signal right before the power amp and bypass the preamp/tonestack. anything you plug in there acts as a preamp for the power section.

i have question....TONE CONTROLS > FX SEND what is this? to set the simulation in fx send of the channel or?

I have not personally tried the EH pedals, a friend of mine got the 44w one though. The 44 has plenty of headroom to get a decently loud signal coming from the cab. For recording purposes it is perfectly fine. I wouldn't recommend them for live use though.