How to get more attack from a amp sim?

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
One of the biggest difference I've noticed between real amp and amps sim is the attack.
When I play at the rehearsal room Mesa, Engl or any other brand of amps through a 4x12 cabinet there is a amazing attack right in your face as soon as I give a pick stroke. It gives power, body and warmth.

At home, neither Pod or plugins can spit out that powerful attack. I've tried to get it using compressors, and tons of plugins but very succesfuly.

So, my question is, how do you manage to improve your amp sim attack?

well when you've got a loud amp blasting out a 4x12 speaker cabinet you're gonna get a fuck load of punch, obviously.

if you lower the gain and play your pod at the same volume, you play your amp, you will get similar punch / attack out of it.

play your engl / mesa at the same volume you play your pod.
there is no punch.

why is that?

right, the poweramp is not yet "working", thats why people say:
i need my amp real loud, otherwise it sounds shit.

thats true. because the tubes start working at a certain level.

so, i think your question should be :
"how do i RECORD punchy pod tones" , right?

Okey, so I reask the quiestion.
How do you manage to get a punchy guitar tone with a Pod or plugin without any tube poweramp or tubepreamp? Any tip to get with a sim any good punchy tone?

I've been thinking bout this for some time as well. I have yet to try this out but I was thinking of having the guitar going thru some sorta mic preamp or the audio interface's preamp before hitting the POD.