How to eq a guitar before the amp to get a deathcore sound..

Bassplay89

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2011
Hi i'm a newbie from italy, im making my first record so i would try to get a good guitar sound... i've got steven slate, superior drummer for drums and trilian for bass and now i'm going to record my passive japanese ibanez rg through a mesa rectifier + mesa recto 4x12 cab + tss.. with an sm 57 but my sound wouldn't statisfy me.. i think that the problem is the signal from the guitar that is'nt full of high frequencys and at the end with no signal eq the sound results fastidious.
i think i'm going to buy a boss equalizer to try to escape from that problems to get a definte sound and try to put it in front of the tss.. someone do this like me or do you think is a mistake? and if someone knows.. how do you equalize the signal from your guitars?' thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english

I would say. Buy a emg81 and put it in the bridge position. To get that deathcore sound tune looooow and use heavy ass fuck thick strings.
Use a tubescreamer before the amp: Guitar-Tubescreamer-Amp-Cab.

You wont need to eq before the signal hits the amp.

The sm57 is good mic for that style. What preamp are you using?

make sure, the signal isnt to soft or to hot. Balance it out.
Then you should be fine.
And also track a di signal with the amp signal, so you can re-amp (or let re-amp) if the guitar tracking didnt work out.

cheers

Hi mate, I don't think the boss eq would work, yes, an emg 81 at the bridge would work nicely, but with your actual set up you can get nice results.
If you have time, try experiment with different amp settings and mic positions to find which works better for your needs.
About eq it really depends on the material, personally I always hp/lp between 61-100 hz and 10-12 khz, usually a bit of 5000-8000 boost helps, but here you can find some resonance near 4000, so notch it out.
In the low end take care of the cabinet resonances, especially on palmutes, I usually use notch filter in the 100-120 area, or a dynamic eq, but if you are tracking it can help moving a bit back the mic..
Generally also some notes of the bass will resonate in this area so try keep it clean
And make sure that the playing is the best

Hope these helps

But an ibanez TS-9 OR TS-808 put that infront of your amp you dont need an eq your tones will be fucking awesome after never play a recto without one

EQ, amp setting, all thatr jazz are not your problem. You have the TOOLS to do it but do you have the talent.

75% of tone is in the hands, 15% is the amp & cab, 10% is the proper microphone position on the speaker. I am willing to bet you are missing the last 10%

EQ, amp setting, all thatr jazz are not your problem. You have the TOOLS to do it but do you have the talent.

75% of tone is in the hands, 15% is the amp & cab, 10% is the proper microphone position on the speaker. I am willing to bet you are missing the last 10%

Im an itb guy so i absolutely cannot give you micing info but i got curious and tried micing my shitty crate and this technique gave me a decent sound.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/648990-shavering.html?highlight=shavering