Noob question about routing when using amp sims and impulses

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
Hi all,
I'm at work right now, but I just downloaded the free TSS plugin, Wagner Sharp MKII, and Voxengo Boogex so I can start getting some decent guitar tones without having to mic my amp. My question is, what is the proper way to route my dry guitar signal? I'm using Reaper, btw. I know that I want the guitar to go to the TSS, then Wagner, then finally Boogex. If create a bus with all 3 plugins on it and send the guitar signal to that bus, I'm assuming it will apply all the plugins at the same time and sound like dump, right? So do I have to create 3 different buses, each with 1 plugin, and "cascade" them to get the proper signal flow?

Thanks in advance!

Put 'em all on each guitar track as inserts, dude. I haven't tried bussing the clean DI's to one aux track of TSS/Wagner/Boogex, but I guess that'd be an option if your processor couldn't handle inserts of all those plugs on every track - however, better to have them as inserts.

Awesome! Thanks so much! Actually I think it was one of your threads that turned me on to these plugins. I also have the Mackie Onyx Satellite. Any tips you can provide as to settings, etc.?

Sure dude! On TSS, I have the Drive at 1:30 (going by the numbers under the knobs, not their "o'clock" positions), Tone at 5.00, and the level set the same way I would with an actual TS - turn the guitar volume up, but mute the strings, so you here the general noise from the pickups coming through. Then, toggle the power button on TSS on and off, and turn the "level" up until the volume of the noise with it on is the same or a little louder than the volume with it off (mine's currently at 6.15 to get a little more saturation out of Wagner). On that note, ALWAYS make sure that button is on; often I'll find it defaults to off, which of course defeats the purpose of the plug! ;)

As for Wagner, I find that it is one bassy/middy m'fing plugin, so I have drive at 7.88, bass at 2.37, Mid at 1.92 (trust me, I love mids, and even with the slider that low it still has PLENTY), and the bottom 3 all at 5.00. And finally, with Boogex, make sure the 4 knobs in the "amplifier" section are all at 0, and turn down the "Out" to around -10 or else it'll be clip city.

Also, I always bus all the guitars to a guitar bus, and put an eq cutting ~5 db at ~200 Hz and boosting ~1 db at ~4.2k - my experience is that EVERY impulse I've tried seems to need this, so it pretty much never changes! Hope this helps man, enjoy!

Also, for awhile I was using the instrument input on the back of the Onyx, but recently started using my Little Labs Redeye as a DI going into the mic input instead, and the quality difference between the two is subtle but definitely noticeable (more clarity and note definition) - if you can afford it, it's a great little gizmo to pick up, cuz it's both a killer DI and a re-amp box in one! (or you could just get a decent DI, check out the "preparing your tracks for reamping" thread for tons of recommendations in that route)

Yeah, I really like 57 On Axis 1 and 4, both with more presence - at first I thought they had too much presence, but in reality I feel it's the others that are a bit too muffled, so in a mix I find I like those two the best!

Put 'em all on each guitar track as inserts, dude. I haven't tried bussing the clean DI's to one aux track of TSS/Wagner/Boogex, but I guess that'd be an option if your processor couldn't handle inserts of all those plugs on every track - however, better to have them as inserts.

that's means that i have to make 3 tracks? and in each track i have to put one insert vst ? and then make a buss from that all?

wow, maybe i'm not understanding, because my english, but.. i make just only one track for guitar, and then i put the TSS in the first insert, then the amp and then the keFIr with an impulse. that's wrong ?

No, you're right - I meant TSS/Wagner/Boogex for each guitar track, rather than sending all of the tracks to one Guitar bus and putting the plugins on there :)

Yay! It worked great! I actually had some issues with the Mackie Onyx. While monitoring the recording, it had a constant popping sound every half-second or so. I have a pretty powerful laptop with 4Gigs of RAM and my CPU usage wasn't being very taxed at all. No matter what I tried, it would not go away. It didn't record the popping, though. No biggie, as the Onyx is my roommates and I was just borrowing it. I have a M-Audio Blackbox that has a bypass function that sends the direct, unprocessed signal and it worked great, and actually seemed to send a better signal to the DAW than the Onyx did. Those TSS and Wagner plugins are freaking GREAT! :headbang: