DI box necessary for using amp sims and impulses?

WeBowInItsAura

New Metal Member
May 22, 2011
I've been using impulses with PODfarm for some time now, and now I've been hearing people talking about how you need a DI box to do stuff like this. I've just been going directly into my Mbox and have been getting okay results? Should I get a DI box as well? I guess i'm just not sure what a DI box really does. Helps amplify your guitar signal? Someone please help me put and explain!

-Thanks!

I personally am not convinced you NEED one. I have never used a DI box and I just run right into my Focusrite interface without problems. Now remember every interface is different, and I have never done it with a MBOX, but if it sounds good to your ears then go with it.

The Pro´s here record with expensive high quality DI-Boxes.

A DI-Box turns your unsymetrical Guitar Signal into a symetric Signal!

You go out of the DI Box with an XLR Mikrofone cable and have more power in the signal i guess!
Expensive DI Boxes record less noise then going directly into the interface!

I compared both signals one with a DI Box and one directly into the Interface and the DI sounded better somehow! It wasn´t as dull and more brilliant.

I'd love someone to record a DI through the interface and one through a DI box, I wanna know how much I could benefit of buying a DI box myself.

The words you're looking for here are unbalanced and balanced. This isn't the main purpose of the DI box for recording guitars, the higher impedance offered by a DI input is much more important.

^^^^

You go out of the DI Box with an XLR Mikrofone cable and have more power in the signal i guess!

Is going out the DI box via XLR the right thing to be going? I normally go into the DI Box and out again via the jack into my interface. Am i making the DI Box void of its purpose?

In my experience using a DI box brings much more clarity in the picking and just sounds more 3D overall. You can definitely get away without one and get a "decent" or "good" sounding tone, but a DI box will help out with a lower noise floor and better representation of the guitar

you dont need one. Ive thought about this one myself too a few times. But i have heard several but i mean several tracks on here w people using interfaces (UX1, UX2, studio ux) and have they sounded great. And from what ive heard as long as you have a HI-Z impedance input of 1 Mohm thats all you need. My interface (toneport UX2) is 1Mohm so i know im fine. If your interface isnt 1Mohm then i would suggest lookin into another interface or buying a DI box. But i truly believe you don't need one.

A DI-Box turns your unsymetrical Guitar Signal into a symetric Signal!

Expensive DI Boxes record less noise then going directly into the interface!

Wrong. An unbalanced signal doesn't have more power than a balanced one. A balanced signal is less noisy for long cable runs; if you don't run your cables more than 20' a balanced signal is unnecessary.

However, one issue to watch for is that plugging a guitar straight into a mic preamp may not load the pickups properly. You really want a 1 Megohm input impedance for your guitar to sound the way it should. Any interface designed for guitar will take this into account.

EDIT--Sorry, someone already mentioned most of this. Gotta read all the replies before I post!

heres a question along the same lines, what do you guys think would be best in my situation, i have a Presonus ADL 600, should i use the instrument inputs to capture di's or should i run the guitar into a di box then into the mic input on the ADL?

I was using the instrument port on my lexicon and then on my mbox for a while, and it didn't sound too bad. I bought a used ARTcessories Phantom I DI for 20 bucks. I figured at most I'd lose 20 bucks if I didn't like it. I have been using it ever since. It seems to make the tone much more clear. Just my 2 cents.