Short DI and re-amp question

Deathmetal616

Mar 1, 2012
Germany
Hello guys!
So I've read the reamping guide and also many of the comments below. And I still don't get why I would need a re-amp box. Isn't it possible to use a DI-Box as a re-amp box? What does a re-amp box actually do with the signal coming from my interface's output?

Help me understand the whole process...
Thanks in advance!
Cheers.

You don't need a reamp box. It's practical, but you can reamp with your audio interface with the analog out L or R.

Reamp box can solve ground loops problems and also it properly converts balanced signal to unbalanced, in general, unbalanced connection with balanced output has two times lower level (half of output level i.e. - 6 db).

Okay, that's what I thought. So basically, If I wanted to reamp a DI track, I would go on like this:
DAW: Track hard panned left or right routed to the respective output on my Interface, at what dB level should I run my signal out? Is there a chance that I burn my amp if I go to hot?
Then I would connect a DI Box for eventual ground switch (going: Input -> Thru -> Stompboxes/Amp?).
And then I mic the signal? Will there be phase issues? I guess yes..?
For the balanced, unbalanced thing, is it necessary? I guess it's important for the input level for the amp?

Thanks so far!

Even interfaces with high levels (i.e. +20 dbu or so) are comparable to active pickups at 18 V in terms of level, 8 peak volts don`t burn your amp. There is no specific level in db, better if signal does not exceeds -3 dbFS, but same level in dbFS can give different voltage with different interfaces, one can be rated 0 dbFS=+20 dbu, other 0 dbFS=+14 dbu etc, sometimes interface can not reproduce original level (especially when using straight balanced to unbalanced connection or weak output level).
Also panning can change level of signal, better to send your signal to specific mono output (left or right).

Ahh, okay, that cleared things up! The dBFS rating should be stated in the manual or at the manufacturers site, so I should be good to go. Thanks again, I'll try re-amping some tracks tomorrow and get back here, if something goes wrong, haha...

Cheers.

Quick question on the topic of dBFS:

This IS what your master meter, as well as your normal meters, in a DAW are telling you, correct?

And for RMS you'd want something like a VU meter?

That is correct. dBFS = decibel FullScale = dB meter in the digital world.
For RMS I'm always a little confused, but yeah, a VU meter shows the average values. (and RMS ~ average volume)

And for RMS you'd want something like a VU meter?
If you want precise RMS values you should use level meter with RMS measuring instead of VU-meter.
I`m prefer
index.php

:Smokedev: