Guitar DI signal hotness

korpse pop

Horde of Undead Vengeance
Jun 22, 2005
Just a quick question, what is the optimal peak level to record DI signal? For re-amps and VST modelling. Passive DI-box and passive pickups.

people do it differently, some prefer peaks no higher than -12db and others and myself prefer peaks no higher than -6db

This has always interested me, is there a level at which you should be recording at, in order to hit the amp as hard as plugging in directly would?

Depends on your soundcard..
I use e M-Audio 1010LT and I find it to be best to record at lower volume, at about -18dB.. Maybe peaking at 12dB.. But not higher than that.. Arounde 6dB-ish I get distortion from the A/D converter.. On the Behringer DI I have, I lower the input with -20dB.. there are 2 buttons with -20db attenuation (?) each..
My reampbox has a gain knob on it so there's no problem with volume after it's recorded.. and one can always use the gain in the DAW..
Some people seem to get good sounds at higher levels, maybe it's because of high quality A/D conversion..

I`m recording with unity preamp gain and with reamping I`m using modded Radial ProRMP (almost unity gain), so overall gain is almost unity.
Recorded peak level depends on pickup - with EMG 85 I`m have around -13 dbFS, with Blackout around -9 dbFS, with passive pickups I can have hotter levels (about -3 dbFS), just like plugging directly into amp.

Depends on your soundcard..
I use e M-Audio 1010LT and I find it to be best to record at lower volume, at about -18dB.. Maybe peaking at 12dB.. But not higher than that.. Arounde 6dB-ish I get distortion from the A/D converter.. On the Behringer DI I have, I lower the input with -20dB.. there are 2 buttons with -20db attenuation (?) each..
My reampbox has a gain knob on it so there's no problem with volume after it's recorded.. and one can always use the gain in the DAW..
Some people seem to get good sounds at higher levels, maybe it's because of high quality A/D conversion..

You're using a behringer DI???

Id say this is the source of your distortion.

I try and keep it at unity gain throughout the system, this way when you go to reamp your amp is seeing closer to the exact signal that came from the guitar, so I try not too boost or attenuate the level anywhere in the chain.

You're using a behringer DI???

Id say this is the source of your distortion.

I think it's pretty good actually :D
I've tried more expensive ones (10 x price) and didn't find a huge difference..
BUT.. As far as testing goes I found I get a better sound by not connecting the Behringer DI to a mixingconsole, instead going straight to line-in on my soundcard..
I've read that they screwed up with the output on their Mic tube-ultragain 200.. it puts out line level and not instrument, as the manual says.. (and I believe they did it with the DI as well)

Not to get in to the "recording loud is better or worse"..
I do find recording at lower volumes to be better..