Di box question

Necr6phag1st

New Metal Member
Feb 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I know this will probably be the most stupid question ever, but there's something I don't understand...although I searched in this (and other) forum(s)

The thing is, I have a ToneportGX, wich is a DI. I understand the concept behind passive and active DI boxes, and what the utility (need) of using one, but what I would like to know is:

Can a DI box be connected to the toneportGX to improve the audio signal quality? I don't know if this is the way of doing it or not...the toneportGX is a DI, so should I plug another DI on it? (doesn't sound right to me)

The chain would be: Guitar---»DI Box---»ToneportGX---»DAW

Or the correct way is: Guitar---»DI Box---»DAW...without using the ToneportGX.

Once again sorry for the noob question, and thank you for your help.

EDIT: The reason I want to know its to achive the best dry signal I possible can (within my budget).

---------------------------------

Sorry for some possible mistakes.

A DI box without a preamp won't work. For receiving the best dry signal you need a good DI box and a preamp which gets the signal with a good level into your DAW.

Do you want to replace the Toneport and use VST amps?

Thank you both for your help.

If the solution to improve the quality of the dry signal to reamp is to replace the Toneport...my answer has to be yes (but i still can use the amp sim's I have, since I bought the VST pack)...but that is not my main concerne since I barelly use them...but that's a different story.

Guess it's time for me to buy a roland quad-capture (or something like that), if I want to start to sound more professional in my home-made recordings.

Once again thank you very much for your help and time.

Hey guys,

I have nearly the same question. So I want to replace my toneport ux2. I am also looking for the best dry signal, which I can later use for reamping.

My aim is to record the best signal for the professional studio but I also want to listen to my tracks at home via VST plugins.
I also want to edit my DI tracks so that everything is prepared for the reamping process.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

I have nearly the same question. So I want to replace my toneport ux2. I am also looking for the best dry signal, which I can later use for reamping.

My aim is to record the best signal for the professional studio but I also want to listen to my tracks at home via VST plugins.
I also want to edit my DI tracks so that everything is prepared for the reamping process.

Thanks in advance!

You haven't really given a question...