Ghetto Reamping - using a normal DI-Box backwarsd

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey Dudes ...

Edit: Damn ... fuck that enter-button right next to shift :D

I love the principle of reamping, but at the moment I don't have the money to buy a reamping-box, so I tried to do it with a normal passive di-box reversed.

Well ... pretty disturbing ... but it worked really good :D

EC-1000 (emg 85) / Schecter Tempest (emg 81) -> firepod input -> logic express

logic express -> firepod output -> di-box output -> from the di-box input into the amp

(every fader totally untouched as I thought that would be the best way to transport the dry signal into the amp...)

Anyway ... I'm wondering how I could ensure, that I get the same signal-strength into the amp as if I directly plug in my guitar.
I know there is this little brainfuck I have, but ... how could I check that? :D

Any suggestions?

Edit: Damn, this is my most edited post ... ever ... :D

Well, I have a ghetto reamping thread of my own going, so here's what I did:

I split the signal going into my DAW (in my case, PTLE) and recorded one "amped" track (I used a Pod XT.) and one DI track.

I recorded two tests. On the second, I turned up the input gain a bit as my DI signal was noticeably less strong than the guitar, live, through the Pod XT. Both times, I wound up turning up the fader in PTLE, as I wasn't quite there, even with the second, though I was closer the second time around.

I'd say try something similar, if you can, and find an input gain setting that works for you. Mark it somewhere on your interface if you can, write it down, or just leave it set. (Or all three.) Record a clip through an amp or modeler, record a DI track, reamp and compare how much gain you're getting (or record a clean clip and compare waveforms. I did both.) Adjust your input/output settings as needed and find something that works.

Test of mic pre as reamping box... unfortunately only line signal - because I have just one mic pre (Art Tube MP Studio) http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/deLuther/reamp_test.rar
Impulse to get "original" signal included.
Compared to signal from audio interface.
Left channel - line out (recorded along with DI-track), right - reamping.
Art was also used as DI-box.
As I understand passive DI-box should work pretty well - the only disadvantage is lack of some kind of trim pot.

ps. I`m thinking about getting Radial ProRMP.

Well, then I'm not as ghetto as you are ... at least my signal is transferred to a instrument-signal before it goes to the amp ... just joking ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure that the passive DI-box comes pretty close to a "perfect ghetto reamping-device". That's not the problem here.
I just don't know if there is a way of getting the signal-strength closer to an "original" guitar plugged straight into an amp, so that I have a "closer to reality" overall setting :D

Art Tube allows plugging 1/4" out to amp according to instruction - for monitoring during di-box usage. So, because it has XLR input, I just need to match level (accordind to VU-meter). Reamped signal has more noise, but it is better then audio interface staight to amp.