Why do I still hear the dry guitar sound when using my VST amp sim?

Gothic Metaller

New Metal Member
Jun 12, 2008
A total noob question, I'm sure.

Background:

I'm using a Zoom G2.1u. It is connected to my computer by USB. The Zoom has a headphone/stereo out. I am using headphones, and ASIO drivers. I am using dirthead (and Wagner, and some others) as a VST with Reaper as host.

Question:

Why do I still hear the dry guitar signal when I am playing? I fiddled around several hours last night trying to figure this out, but cannot.

What I want is for my dry signal to go to the computer, be processed by the VST, and then come back to me through the headphones. Problem is, I get that, plus the dry signal that is being played.

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

Thanks to anyone who takes a look at this. I am loving this new world of amp sims, impulses, etc.

Tried activating direct monitoring? (A little yellow speakerish icone on each channel)

EDIt: I think it has something to do with the zoom, it sends the direct sound to the headphones as well, try muting it or routing it away from the headphone out

Tried activating direct monitoring? (A little yellow speakerish icone on each channel)

EDIt: I think it has something to do with the zoom, it sends the direct sound to the headphones as well, try muting it or routing it away from the headphone out

I tried clicking on the little speaker: the VST sound comes on, but there's huge static, popping :ill:

How would I mute the direct sound, or reroute it?

Should I just buy a different USB interface?

Thanks. :)

I would suggest so. If all you want to do is record guitar get something cheap like a toneport.

Okay, should I get the bottom-of-the-line Toneport for $60.

What about Firewire interfaces?

How about that new Zoom ZFX, or should I stay away from Zoom?

Your probably not, but i thought just incase, make sure your using mono audio tracks in reaper... using stereo will often cause the dry/processed signal problem.

Yup.

I'm also having latency issues. For example, I lay down a little drum track with Addictive Drums. Then, I record a guitar track (dry), but it is off in time by little. I can move the track into position, but maybe the Zoom has latency issues??? I'm a total noob, so this is all quite confusing here, at first.

All the toneports come with gearbox so basically it just depends on what input options you want. The lowest one just does guitar direct. The UX1 has a mic pre if you ever get antsy and want to play around with mics (but not phantom power) and the UX2 has a couple of mic preamps, an instrument in (both pad and not pad) and 2 line level inputs.

Plus it's easy as FUCK to use.

I use the Toneport Gold DI, its a basic toneport that has most the model packs sounds, effects and sims included. I think most discounters like Musicians Friend are blowing these out now for 99.00, great deal since I paid about 280 for one last year.

Problem with the L6 stuff is they have many variants of their product line where you pay extra for more/add ons. You buy a guitarport, you'll want the model packs, the bass pack, the effects, the multi packs etc.

The UX1 and UX2 are plastic, as well as the KB37 which is basically a UX2 with a short keyboard. They do have alot more features like phantom power and a cannon plugin/ability to handle mics.
The Toneports (I believe all of them as there are a few variants) are metal, which does effect surviability if you are prone to tripping cords and ripping/knocking things off computer towers, desks etc..quite a bit more durable.

Oh, and L6 stuff is very low latency. I think if you're into VST plugins, the Gold package plugin (has no hardware-its a VST) is going cheaply now too... I think 169.00? check about.