Why do I still hear the dry guitar sound when I am recording with a VST amp sim?

Gothic Metaller

New Metal Member
Jun 12, 2008
A total noob question, I'm sure.

Background:

I'm using a Zoom G2.1u. It is connected to my computer by USB. The Zoom has a headphone/stereo out. I am using headphones, and ASIO drivers. I am using dirthead (and Wagner, and some others) as a VST with Reaper as host.

Question:

Why do I still hear the dry guitar signal when I am playing? I fiddled around several hours last night trying to figure this out, but cannot.

What I want is for my dry signal to go to the computer, be processed by the VST, and then come back to me through the headphones. Problem is, I get that, plus the dry signal that is being played.

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

Thanks to anyone who takes a look at this. I am loving this new world of amp sims, impulses, etc.

Spent another 8 hours trying to fix this tonight. I get the same thing happening both in Cubase LE and Reaper.

If I use a patch in the Zoom for my distorted sound (instead of using a VST amp sim), then it is okay, but if I bypass the Zoom (just using it as a USB interface) and use a VST amp sim for my distorted tone, then I get the dry sound of the bypass plus the VST amp sim sound.

Just to be clear, the dry sound is not recorded, but I can hear it while playing. It messes me up. If I turn down the volume on the Zoom, then, of course, the signal going to the computer goes down, too.

Sigh.

It seems that as long as I have the headphones plugged into my Zoom, then I am going to hearing the clean sound. Do other people have this problems with their USB interfaces when using VST amp sims?

I think your getting latency and the direct sound somehow. Does muteing the track your recording get rid of the double?

If I mute the sound, then I still hear the direct dry sound coming from the Zoom, but cannot hear the VST amp sim sound.

It's like . . . I want to tell the computer to mute the sound going INTO the computer, and just play me the sound coming out from the VST amp sim.

If I toggle the little speaker icon, I get either dry guitar, or dry guitar + VST amp sim guitar.

I will have to look into the soundcard control panel some more. In Vista, I have two options, I think: Playback device, and Recording device.

Interestingly, my Addictive Drums will not work when my driver in Reaper is set to ASIO (asioforall). I don't know why. I want to use the ASIO driver because, apparently they perform better in terms of latency.

So many little problems. I am hard a work, here.

Thanks again for suggestions so far. I will investigate more when I get home from work.