Amp sim n00bs, come here

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
N00BS GUIDE TO AMP SIMS!

Every day on these forums, the same questions get asked, "how do use amp sims?" "how do use impulses?", so I thought I would write this guide to help all the new members, or people who have just started using amp sims.

I started writing this a few months ago, but never finished it, so last night i started on it again and here it is haha

I've included a pack with two DI tracks, and a bass & drum track for you to test out with these settings. These are straight from my bands first song, but I don't mind sharing the love XD

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3163522/Muckypup1 DI TRACKS.rar

If you are looking for other amp sims, if you are a mac user, or just want a different sound, you can check out a whole list of them here -

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/541010-list-guitar-ampsim-software.html

And if you have more questions about any of this shit, post here, or do a search with this -

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

Its a custom search engine that will find you what you want :D

And before you post some asshole comment, this is for complete n00bs, not the pro's of the forum :)
Enough fucking around now, time to get to business

1 - I'm not going to go through the obvious things, actually, I will

- Plug your interface in
- Plug your guitar into your interface
- Install all the crap it comes with, and make sure you have the right drivers installed for it

Once you have done that, you will need to download some software. For my guide, I'm only using free programs, so just download the list below, and you will be making kick ass metal in no time \m/

Download REAPER, (just do a google search for Reaper and you will find it) Reaper is a DAW, and what a DAW basically does is give you a virtual studio, with many tracks to record on, and all the effects you could ever need

Google LEPOU and download his LE456 amp sim. This is a very good model of a Engl amp, and it will provide you with your distortion, or if you want, your clean sounds as well

Google KEFIR and download the free Kefir plugin. This is a Impulse loader, I will go into impulses more in a bit

Google TSS TUBE SCREAMER, and find the download link to it, its free, and this is a model of a Ibanez Tubescreamer, it will saturate your distortion, and just make everything sound that much better

Now that you have downloaded the above programs, its time to install them.

First Reaper

Its simple, just double click on your downloaded Reaper file, and follow the instructions!

Then your Engl amp sim, impulse loader, and tubescreamer model

Basically all you have to do is un-rar/un-zip each one, then you copy the un-rar'ed/un-zipped folders into your VST folder. Now to find your VST folder, open My Computer, open Local Disk, open Program Files, and look for the folder named VstPlugins. This is where you need your un-zipped folders to be.

Now the boring shit is over with, its time to open up Reaper and begin

First you will need to create a new Track

Newtrack.jpg

Once you have a new track up, you will need to Arm it to record

Armtrack.jpg

Then you have to turn the Sound on. If you do not turn the monitoring button on, you will only hear the sound of your DI track, which is not what we want!

Turnsoundon.jpg

Your almost there now!

You now need to add your Amp Sim

Effects.jpg

Click on the small button that says FX, and it will open, and give you a list of effects to choose from

Selecteffects.jpg

Now scroll through the VST list, and find the TSS plugin, then the Poulin LE456, then Kefir MONO, and then add TWO of ReaEQ, this is your eq.

Just a few more minutes of this crap, then you will be ready \m/

Settings.jpg

Adjust all the settings to the same as my pic above, I went for a kind of Nevermore influenced sound.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3163522/Final!.wav

Right click this file and choose Save Link As, this is your Impulse file.

Your Impulse file is basically your Cabinet model, I think that this one is a Mesa Boogie 4x12 Oversized cab model. Once you have this impulse file, you then load it into your Kefir plugin, by clicking on LOAD!

You will need to adjust the volume of the Master on LE456, because different guitars come out louder.

Now when you strum a heavy power chord, you should heavy a nice heavy distortion \m/

You are now ready to tweak the amp sim settings, or tweak everything to your own taste, and begin recording some fucking metal!

Hopefully this will be of some use to you, if it has, then check out my band http://www.myspace.com/sinisterhaven and check my shit :D

Cool idea, but I'd say you missed one of the most important parts, which is setting the guitar levels.

Very straight forward, very simple, yet very efficient :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I'm sure it will help a lot of the beginner dudes out!

Very straight forward, very simple, yet very efficient :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I'm sure it will help a lot of the beginner dudes out!

Thanks for the comments dude \m/

I just thought it might help some of the complete beginners out, its obviously no use to the more experience dudes on here though :D

alright, I'll ask here. Im far from a noob in general but what the fuck do I have to do to get the latency usable for these sims? Im running a brand new quad-core with 12 gigs of ram and these things are still totally unusable for real time monitoring.

im still new to this, but i also have latency issues when using vst's. sometimes i get this washed out sound like a water in a pvc pipe instead of distorted guitar, i have to reset the interface/soundcard drivers in my daw. is it because im using a laptop(2.3ghz 4 meg ram)?

What interface are yall using? Go into the control panel and set the sample rate as low as possible. 64 on my Firestudio gives me 2.3 ms latency, which isn't noticeable to me.

@ Mot: No it's not your laptop, mine is at 2.0 ghz with 3 gig ram and it runs fine.

I'm using a motu 2408 mk3 lowest settings are still too much.

Are you doing this in a big tracking session? Like say recording a full drum kit, scratch vox, bass and guitars? Or a few tracks at a time like the tutorial?

I just want to use sims for scratch monitoring. Typical session is
kick in
kick out
Sub kick
snr top
snr bottom
t1
t2
t3
hat
ohl
ohr
room l
room r

scratch bass
scratch gtr
scratch gtr
scratch vox

so 18 tracks at once with two sims in real time, doesnt work

ive got a fast track pro. ive got the latency set second from the lowest. the lowest wont work at all with vst's.

im not running tonnes of stuff either.

what really gets me is that the oil heater in my room switches on and windows plays the noise to indicated my ftp is disconnected. :( oh well.

Oh yes, its the supreme DAW :D

alright, I'll ask here. Im far from a noob in general but what the fuck do I have to do to get the latency usable for these sims? Im running a brand new quad-core with 12 gigs of ram and these things are still totally unusable for real time monitoring.

ive got a fast track pro. ive got the latency set second from the lowest. the lowest wont work at all with vst's.

im not running tonnes of stuff either.

what really gets me is that the oil heater in my room switches on and windows plays the noise to indicated my ftp is disconnected. :( oh well.

Have you tried Asio4All? I had to switch to it instead of using the stock Line 6 drivers that came with my GX interface, because I was getting un-useable amounts of latency. Asio4All is free and it fixes it so you get barely any latency.