question about tracking (d.i. - amp/cab sim) volume

XoechZ

New Metal Member
Aug 14, 2010
Austria
www.xoechz.at
Hi guys!

I have a question about tracking guitars in Reaper.

The incoming D.I. signal peaks about -18 dB. Then I use an amp sim and a cab sim on that track.
First I tried to balance the pre and post volume, so that the track also peaked about -18 dB after the amp/cab sim. But that was way too low for mixing.

So, what do you think is an acceptable and useful track volume after amp/cab for further mixing? I know a bit about gain staging and also headroom, so I am unsure about it.

Please help!

XoechZ

Your DI should be peaking around -3dB, so I would turn up the gain on your preamp. Your post-fx volume doesn't have to match the level of your DIs at all. As far as post-effects level, as long as you aren't clipping the master bus and it sounds good, its all game. I don't even have a ballpark dB level for that because I don't pay attention at all to that and I would guess it varies from project to project, but it definitely shouldnt be anywhere near as low as -18dB.

Thanks Brandon!

I have set my D.I. as neutral as possible, means no additional gain. That's why it peaks at only -18 dB in my DAW. I thought this gives me the most natural results (for tone), because this is the same level as I would plug my guitar cable into a real amp.

Is this wrong?

With the direct signal already peaking at -3dB I'd have almost no headroom for further processing (in my opinion). But you guys have much more experience than me.

Thanks Brandon!

I have set my D.I. as neutral as possible, means no additional gain. That's why it peaks at only -18 dB in my DAW. I thought this gives me the most natural results, because this is the same level as I would plug my guitar cable into a real amp.

Doesn't quite work that way. You want it to peak around -3dB when youre hitting the strings as HARD AS POSSIBLE, meaning it should never go over -3dB. If you're DI signal is peaking at -18dB it's going to make all your amp sims sound weird because they arent getting a hot enough signal

Doesn't quite work that way. You want it to peak around -3dB when youre hitting the strings as HARD AS POSSIBLE, meaning it should never go over -3dB. If you're DI signal is peaking at -18dB it's going to make all your amp sims sound weird because they arent getting a hot enough signal

Got the idea. Thanks.

I had a similar question about this topic.

Say I plug my guitar into my interface, turn on Reaper, and set my gain on the interface so that its not clipping. I go into Reaper, and normally the signal is peaking at 0.0 dB.

Does it actually matter how hot the signal is at this stage, as long as its not clipping? or should I be lowering the gain on the interface so, as you say, its -3dB?

Clipping is the worst thing to happen in a DAW. Be sure that your signal never clips. To be safe, stay a good ammount below 0.0 dB.

How far below 0.0 dB was part of my question. Brandon says -3 dB is low enough.