Should I be using a D.I.?

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,

Simple question really. As of now, I've always been plugging my guitar directly in my interface (Komplete Audio 6), using a relatively short cable (6 ft maybe.)

I made the 3 tests :
1- Serie of VSTs (noisegate, TS, Amp Sim, Recabinet, etc.)
2- PedalBoard + Dual Rectifier + Mesa Cab + SM57 directly into the Interface.
3- PedalBoard + Dual Rectifier + Slave out + Directly into the Interface.

So as you can see, we've never used a D.I. and I'm not sure I understand why I should use one, even though I read a little bit about it. Some say you must use one everytime you record, some say you only use one to split your signal and send it to 2 different things (like 1 for the Interface, the other for the real Amp).

Does this affect the quality of my recording? Like is the signal stronger, of better quality or something using a D.I.?

Splitting the signal like you mentionned (1 to the amp, 1 to the interface) will permit you to record a clean track simulteanously which you can use to:

-Reamp at a later time if you aren't satisfied with the tone
-Edit your track (editing distorted guitars is gonna suck, so you edit your clean track then reamp it when satisfied)

So no, it doesn't just magically make your tone better. But it can give you the chance to tweak settings as you'd like even if you have already recorded.

Ok, therefore, in my situation, since I directly record clean tracks without using my amp at all, there is no real advantage in using a D.I. Let me explain...

I connect my guitar in my interface directly and use VSTs in order to have something that sounds OK while I record (i.e. so that I don't just hear my clean guitar, it would be weird...). So I already have a clean track, ready for reamping (supposing the clean track is good enough).

But, I'm curious about what you said about editing the clean track.

What kind of editing is normaly/sometimes required on a "clean track"? I mean, EQing and all, from what I have read, is mostly done at the end of the chain, no? Are you talking about compressors maybe? I'm just curious to understand what kinda of work could be required on a clean track, as I thought most of the work was normally done on the track with gain. Clearly I missed something.

the need of an DI box enterely depends on the quality of the instrument input of your interface.
maybe work good with some guitars, may not with others.
A good DI box evens that out, plus it can get you the last few %.

Only way you'll ever know if your DI signal has a good quality, is to compare a reamp vs the same track directly into the amp.
Best to even use the same performance, splitting it before the amp. Record the direct into the amp signal as well as the DI, then reamp the DI through the same settings on the amp.
If there's not a lot of difference, you're good (with that guitar at least).

As far as editing goes: it's way easier to edit out fretting noise between breaky parts on the DI than on the reamped/amp track...noise is a lot louder in the amp signal than on the DI, compared to the playing.
EQ/Comp would fall under mixing, not editing.

the need of an DI box enterely depends on the quality of the instrument input of your interface.
maybe work good with some guitars, may not with others.
A good DI box evens that out, plus it can get you the last few %.

Only way you'll ever know if your DI signal has a good quality, is to compare a reamp vs the same track directly into the amp.
Best to even use the same performance, splitting it before the amp. Record the direct into the amp signal as well as the DI, then reamp the DI through the same settings on the amp.
If there's not a lot of difference, you're good (with that guitar at least).

As far as editing goes: it's way easier to edit out fretting noise between breaky parts on the DI than on the reamped/amp track...noise is a lot louder in the amp signal than on the DI, compared to the playing.
EQ/Comp would fall under mixing, not editing.

Many thanks, that helps me a lot to understand.

Editing = cut all the transcients and hit Quantize + Normalize. :kickass:

..no but for real, do you guys normalize too when cleaning DI tracks? The result is not really noticable tho..

why'd you want to normalize anything? (in musicproduction at least)

Last time I normalized anything it was to try to make a kick drum track trigger better in Slate's Trigger because the left foot was a bit weak and I was trying anything I could without manually automating every goddamn left kick hit!

To have a consistency with the volumes. I dunno.. differant picking forces, pick-ups, etc. You use a comp?

For that kind of stuff? Absolutely not.

If I record myself I'm going to record it at the overall same level.
If I get files that are all over the place->clip gain if I have to bring it down to an overall similar level.

(with "normalizing" I assumed you ment to bring it up right below 0dbfs, which is a waste of headroom imo...dunno why, but everytime someone talked about this he ment that, so maybe you're using it in a more reasonable way)

Last time I normalized anything it was to try to make a kick drum track trigger better in Slate's Trigger because the left foot was a bit weak and I was trying anything I could without manually automating every goddamn left kick hit!

I'd just limit the shit out of it to bring the stronger foot down to the weaker one.
You wouldn't want to bother keeping that dynamic anyway I assume^^