Line6 TonePort D.I.

MKS

May 24, 2005
If you have the Line 6 TonePort D.I. and Gold Bundle, can you use that along with another audio interface?

Basically, can I use the TonePort D.I. as a dongle so I can use the VST Plug-ins?

If you're on Mac you can create an aggregate device using the "Audio Midi Setup" application. For example, you can connect a Toneport, a US-122, and a Firepod to get 4+2+10 inputs, here's how it's done:

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/aggregateaudio/

(@Windows users: Is there really still no way to do this in Windows with ASIO drivers??)

To run the Gearbox plugin you just have to connect a Line6 device (e.g. PODxt or Toneport) to your computer. It just works as a dongle, you don't have to record or playback through it.

If you're on Mac you can create an aggregate device using the "Audio Midi Setup" application. For example, you can connect a Toneport, a US-122, and a Firepod to get 4+2+10 inputs, here's how it's done:

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/aggregateaudio/

(@Windows users: Is there really still no way to do this in Windows with ASIO drivers??)

To run the Gearbox plugin you just have to connect a Line6 device (e.g. PODxt or Toneport) to your computer. It just works as a dongle, you don't have to record or playback through it.

Holy shit, that's awesome! Can you use the aggregate device in anything besides Garageband/Logic? (specifically, Cubase?)

Holy shit, that's awesome! Can you use the aggregate device in anything besides Garageband/Logic? (specifically, Cubase?)

I have not tried this in Cubase (I'm using Ableton Live), but in any DAW, the aggregate device should simply appear in the list of available devices for input/output. Its name will be something like "Aggregate Device"+No. of ins/outs. The order of ins/outs is determined by the order you added the interfaces to the aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup, e.g. :

1. Add Firepod
2. Add US-122
3. Add Toneport

Now inputs/outs 1-10 come from the Firepod, 11-12 from the US-122, and 13-16 from the Toneport.

I'm a windows user.

Currently I'm using an Alesis Firewire IO26. I just wanted to be able to use the gold plug-ins without using the I/O of the TonePort D.I.. I would rather use the Alesis.

I'm a windows user.

Currently I'm using an Alesis Firewire IO26. I just wanted to be able to use the gold plug-ins without using the I/O of the TonePort D.I.. I would rather use the Alesis.

Connect the TonePort USB without selecting it to be used for I/O (this should be your IO26). Load the GearBox plugin for a track that gets its input from the IO26.

You'll be hearing the processed signal from GearBox. Depending on the DAW, you'll need to record the output of this track to capture the processed signal. I'd use it for monitoring during playing, perhaps record both the D.I. and the processed signal onto two tracks. Then you can later choose a different suitable patch in GearBox, run the recorded DI through it and record the output onto a third track.